vertical load...coax, F-connector, and UHF connector strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Hi. For you more technically oriented folks out there, what are the expectations around the amount of load an F- connector pair or a PL-259/SO-239 connector can take in a vertical position? I'm thinking about the strain put on the connector by about 50-60' of RG-6 (so ~4-5 lbs). I'm also wondering if LMR-600 (6.5-8 lbs) would be pushing it in the same configuration.

prcguy

With a T&B brand compression F connector you can almost climb up the coax without it pulling out of the connector. A properly installed PL-259 will handle a lot of weight and so will a proplerly installed connector on any LMR cable. With that said you should never have 50 or 60ft of cable free hanging from the connector, bad idea. Always secure the coax to the mast at points that will not distort it from a clean straight run during high winds, etc. Its also good to put a service loop at the antenna end in case you need to replace a connector or change antennas and that will take the strain off the connector and can keep you from undoing the entire run for minor work at the top.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that’s the problem. There is no mast...I have to hoist the antenna up from a tree branch due to neighborhood issues.....

Ubbe

Can't you make a loop and hook up to the bottom of the antenna, where the groundplanes are or equal place. You probably anyhow should make a poor mans current balun by having the coax curled up 4-5 turns at the antenna.

/Ubbe

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
That’s probably what I’ll wind up doing....either getting a kellum grip or tying something similar on w/550 cord so the strain isn’t on the connector itself. The antenna itself is fairly light (DJ-130) so I don’t need lot of support for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.