Vertical passive receiving antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesjerry

Hello to all. I had a R F Systems GMDSS, Vertical magnetic transfer passive antenna which was manufactured in Holland. This antenna was real good on general coverage, i.e. 500 kHz to 30 MHz . A wind storm knocked it down. Can’t see any physical break on it, however when I connect it to my receiver the signal goes ON and OFF with slight bending of the unit. The antenna is about 7 feet tall, however it flexes some what. Apparently there is a helically wound wire inside and tightly packed with sealant, plus is it uses Magnetic Balun. At bottom of antenna there is a SO 239 for the coax. Purchased from Universal Radio years ago. Are there any members that may have one of these for sale? I really don’t want to dig into the antenna, unless I had an X-ray to see where the break would be!!!! If indeed there is one? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in Santa Cruz, California.
Jerry Neves, KA6POZ. Thanks so much.

KB2GOM

Hello to all. I had a R F Systems GMDSS, Vertical magnetic transfer passive antenna which was manufactured in Holland. This antenna was real good on general coverage, i.e. 500 kHz to 30 MHz . A wind storm knocked it down. Can’t see any physical break on it, however when I connect it to my receiver the signal goes ON and OFF with slight bending of the unit. The antenna is about 7 feet tall, however it flexes some what. Apparently there is a helically wound wire inside and tightly packed with sealant, plus is it uses Magnetic Balun. At bottom of antenna there is a SO 239 for the coax. Purchased from Universal Radio years ago. Are there any members that may have one of these for sale? I really don’t want to dig into the antenna, unless I had an X-ray to see where the break would be!!!! If indeed there is one? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in Santa Cruz, California.
Jerry Neves, KA6POZ. Thanks so much.

Have you changed the coax to see if that makes a difference?

nevesjerry

Yes, I tried different cables to no avail..Problem must be inside. Apparently this antenna has wound copper line wound around its length and a magnetic balun at bottom. The whole inside is filled with some kind material.I could try to open the mast which looks like some type of light PVC but would need to know where to cut, and of course I have no way of knowing where the break is, if indeed there is a break! Need an x-ray…..Do you have one of these antennas??

KB2GOM

Yes, I tried different cables to no avail..Problem must be inside. Apparently this antenna has wound copper line wound around its length and a magnetic balun at bottom. The whole inside is filled with some kind material.I could try to open the mast which looks like some type of light PVC but would need to know where to cut, and of course I have no way of knowing where the break is, if indeed there is a break! Need an x-ray…..Do you have one of these antennas??

Jerry,

No I don't have one of those antennas. I was just trying to "eliminate variables." I see you are a ham. Perhaps a local ham club might have someone who is technically savvy who might be able to help you.

Cheers, Jock

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
From what I can find it's all one piece. Opening up one of those antennas and being able to reseal it would be difficult.
One of the issues with those fiberglass antennas is that strong flexing will often damage the internal wire. I used to have that problem with the Radio Shack fiberglass CB antennas. We usually don't get that much wind in our neck of the woods, but it does happen. Surprised it was enough to break the antenna. I've got a lot of commercial fiberglass antennas just up the hill from you and haven't had any issues. Fiberglass can break down over time with UV exposure and flexing. If you do fix it, you'd want to reinforce it, maybe some good adhesive lined heat shrink would prevent future issues.

Since it's already not working, there's no harm in trying to open it up. As RFI-EMI-GUY said, it's probably a break down near the base.
If it was mine, I'd try to open it up and fix it. If I couldn't, I'd reuse the balun at the base and fabricate a new antenna out of it. Since it's just an end fed balun, maybe a 9:1 or 16:1, you could easily repurpose what was left and just add a long wire to the end. As close to the ocean as you are, I'd make sure to seal it all up really well.
Other option would be to reuse the balun and use an old mobile antenna whip to see what you could do.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Im sorry about your antenna! I wonder how difficult it would be to get the fiberglass off? Ive got an Apex 303wa Whip, the receive coverage is the same as yours. I really like mine, and no fiberglass sheath. in pkg comes in two? pieces, the whip itself you screw two pieces together with a barrel? connector attached to the whip. RF systems stuff is costly from what I understand, the Apex is a great Japanese whip and probably costs less. I'm sorry I don't have your same kind of antenna or a help for you. EDIT the antenna may be listed online as "ApexRadio" one word.

Status
Not open for further replies.