Very Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerjunkie

So i recently updated a friends 668 from 3.8 to 4.6. now the reception is very bad on p25 systems. missing quite a bit but not all transmissions, only hearing one side of a conversation at times and signal strength is all over the place. no where near the performance when using 3.8. i know its not the scanner because i went back to 3.8 and scanner was working fantastic. went and reloaded 4.6. same result. what settings and adjustments should i look into? this has me stumped. any help would be great. thanks

JustLou

So i recently updated a friends 668 from 3.8 to 4.6. now the reception is very bad on p25 systems. missing quite a bit but not all transmissions, only hearing one side of a conversation at times and signal strength is all over the place. no where near the performance when using 3.8. i know its not the scanner because i went back to 3.8 and scanner was working fantastic. went and reloaded 4.6. same result. what settings and adjustments should i look into? this has me stumped. any help would be great. thanks

Did you remember to also update the DSP?

Edit: I assume you did since you updated from 3.8, not the RS Firmware.

Last edited:

JustLou

That's weird. I didn't really notice any difference between 3.8, 4.5, or 4.6.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
What version ezscan do you have?

The latest is 2.19 if you don't have that install it then reload the data into your scanner,

scannerjunkie

I do have a slightly older version of ezscan. Was afraid to upgrade if I had to stay at version 3.8. I'm thinking a setting or something changed in the scanner when it went from 3.8 to 4.6. I don't know.

scannerjunkie

Wackyracer. if I upgrade ezscan will I still be able to use it with 3.8 fw if I need to go back? Also you mention reseating the sd card. Do you mean just taking it out and reinstalling in scanner?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Wackyracer. if I upgrade ezscan will I still be able to use it with 3.8 fw if I need to go back? Also you mention reseating the sd card. Do you mean just taking it out and reinstalling in scanner?

That I don't know as I have no need to go back as both 4.5 and 4.6 work great for me. If you have another computer put 2.19 on it and try it. Honestly I don't of anyone that firmware 4.5 and 4.6 wasn't better for them.

Do you have DSP 3.0 installed?

Yes, install and remove the card several times.

scannerjunkie

I moved the squelch knob so the line on the knob faces in the 9 o'clock position. Seems to have helped. I see a more consistent flashing T and less flashing S. When scanning and holding on a channel. Won't be able to really tell till tomorrow when theirs more radio traffic.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any attenuation turned on? if so try turning it off, If it is off try turning it on and see if it helps. Too strong a signal acts just like a weak signal except you have 5+ bars on the signal meter.

scannerjunkie

I left all settings the same as they were when I was using 3.8. I did try the att settings and still is the same. I did however moved the squelch and I now have much clearer and both sides of t ransmissions. See talk groups I never seen before. I may be on to something.

scannerjunkie

I seem to be still having the issue with 4.6 not receiving p25 like 3.8 was. what do i look into as far as threshold settings gain settings and do i need to have all site frequencies selected or just the primary and alternate? im monitoring starcom 21 cook south 700mhz.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I seem to be still having the issue with 4.6 not receiving p25 like 3.8 was. what do i look into as far as threshold settings gain settings and do i need to have all site frequencies selected or just the primary and alternate? im monitoring starcom 21 cook south 700mhz.

Try asking in the Illinois thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.