Very disappointed with my 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Don't really know what in going to do with my 800, first the moisture buildup, then the sticky Select button, then the speaker, this is ridiculous!!

On March 22,2012 I bought the 800 thought it was the best thing I'd buy. Now it's on its last legs can barely use the damn thing.
And it gets worse the store I got it at they were a bunch of A holes!! Worst customer service, they weren't friendly, and only cared about the $$$ Were really nice when i bought it....now I don't go there anymore

Anyway I guess stuff happens hope whistler can help me out with there trade in program. Just going to have to get a scanner to replace in the mean time. Don't know where i will be able to get $600 from but will see what happens.

Sorry to take it out on you guys...I apologize. Hope you guys can learn something from what I went through.

mrkelso

Don't really know what in going to do with my 800, first the moisture buildup, then the sticky Select button, then the speaker, this is ridiculous!!

On March 22,2012 I bought the 800 thought it was the best thing I'd buy. Now it's on its last legs can barely use the damn thing.
And it gets worse the store I got it at they were a bunch of A holes!! Worst customer service, they weren't friendly, and only cared about the $$$ Were really nice when i bought it....now I don't go there anymore

Anyway I guess stuff happens hope whistler can help me out with there trade in program. Just going to have to get a scanner to replace in the mean time. Don't know where i will be able to get $600 from but will see what happens.

Sorry to take it out on you guys...I apologize. Hope you guys can learn something from what I went through.

What exactly is wrong with it?

frazpo

The speaker has no audio coming our from it, and the select/pause/play button keep sticking and selecting, holding things that I don't want to hold.

Moisture? Sticky buttons? Is this kept in a case or left out in a moist car overnite? Some of this sounds like and environment problem. At time its hard to tell in what kind of condition these scanners are in. Everyone is different on how they keep care of their stuff. Not saying you do not but if your going to list issues you might want to throw in there that there that you have gone above and beyond to take care of a $600 scanner. :)

N8IAA

Did you spill a drink on it? Get caught in a snow storm, or rain storm? I've owned two 800's. One used and the current new one. Haven't had a problem with either. Sounds like you did something to the scanner.
Larry

SCPD

QRT
Yeah I used to leave it in the car in the summer...and there was one time I spilled coffee on the speaker lol it's kinda of funny but anyway let's hope when I get something new I can take a bit better care of it

SCPD

QRT
And well the 800 is the first scanner I've ever owned so there are going to be mistakes made and things like that so I guess I learned something

frazpo

Yeah I used to leave it in the car in the summer...and there was one time I spilled coffee on the speaker lol it's kinda of funny but anyway let's hope when I get something new I can take a bit better care of it

For the sticky button. You might take the batteries out and get a q-tip and come alcohol and let slowly squeeze a very small amount of alcohol into the area around the button. This may break up what ever is causing it to stick.
Get a case next time. My scanner are NEVER without a case and never left in fluctuating temps.
Good luck

IowaGuy1603

But I fixed it with q tip and running alcohol still sticks a bit thanks guys

you probably should watch a video on how to take the 800 apart and once it is apart, give the keyboard area a good cleaning.

At the same time I'll bet if you looked around you could find a replacement speaker---or maybe you could also see if you could clean up the speaker when you had the radio apart.

I know there is a video on how to fix where the foam is running up on the display area.

AdminLaw

There is also a thread further down the page about a company on the East Coast that repairs GRE scanners.

It appears that while they aren't fast, they are reasonably priced (especially compared to a new scanner), and the posters seem happy with their results. Perhaps yours could benefit from some time in rehab. (And a protective case.)

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
there was one time I spilled coffee on the speaker lol it's kinda of funny but anyway let's hope when I get something new I can take a bit better care of it

/thread. Case closed the problem was between the ears. User error. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.