Very disappointing QSL card response

jaymatt1978

Last month, 9/1 a fellow ham helped me activate the Cape May LH. Actually he was doing FT8 and paused for awhile so I could do some PSK .Although I only had time to make three contact I was still excited because it was the first time I've been on PSK since Steve, W3HF. I was excited because it was the first time on PSK in years and I was delighted to make three contacts, one in California, one in Oregon and even a DX station in Italy! So I waited a few weeks and didn't receive any QSL cards so I decided to send them out 10/7 because I was really excited to get recognition for me feat! Still nothing Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed
Stay tuned

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I know it’s impolite but no one is obligated to QSL you. I don’t QSL every contact I make. I just don’t have the time.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
eQSL and LoTW can happen at the speed of internet... Cards take awhile longer. I've gotten cards years after the QSO. Some of my electronic ones come years later too. Mostly I think hams are setting up online and catching up their old QSO logs. Don't let the lack of a card disappoint.
Mike

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Wait...you sent cards out on 10/7 and are disappointed because you haven't gotten one back in less than 2 weeks? I really hope I misread something, because if I didn't, that's just downright ridiculous.

A lot of people don't send cards these days. If you want one back, best to send one first, perhaps with a SASE as was already mentioned. Going to take MUCH longer than 2 weeks though, especially to Italy. I'm still getting overseas cards from 2018.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I recall printers who would help design QSL cards for new or upgraded amateurs back in the day. I haven't seen one in a long time and assume that most people do LoTW now.

I hate to echo the 'no obligation' message, Jay, but a QSO that was no more than an exchange of callsigns and signal reports won't mean much to many hams, and especially to a DX station that get bombarded with QSL card requests.

Having been DX I can tell you that sending cards is both time consuming and expensive --So if you want a QSL from me, make me want to send you one of mine-- for instance, remind me of something we talked about, include a photo or a postcard of your home towne , maybe a short hand written note---make it personal ....tell me how long and hard you have tried to work the Antrax Islands for your DXCC (even if its a fib- a little white lie can win this damsel's heart :giggle: ) --and then say what a thrill it was I pulled you out of that monster of a pileup.
Send your card first-- and make it a NICE looking card; put it in an envelope-- nothing is such a turn off as a mangled ink smeared one colour postcard with some chicken-scratch on the back--- and if its domestic include a SASE --if its foreign include some "green stamps" ***.

I am not lecturing; this is just lessons learned from being a ham since forever. QSL'ing is an art. and I've done it from all sides.

Good luck Jay :sneaky:

Lauri

Cindy 6.jpg

*** SASE---self addressed stamped envelope, "green stamps" (an old ham expression) for "George Washingtons"

(my best QSL ? a case of duty-paid wine from a French ham for a rare IOTA contact :giggle:)

---------------------and did I say it ? I hate on-line confirmations !

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Gets expensive these days sending out QSL cards. Here in Canada, it costs $1.30 to send one to the US and $2.71 to send one internationally.

I pretty well exclusively use the ARRL Log of the World (LOTW). I was using e-QSL as well but dropped that.

You may be receiving QSL cards via the QSL Bureau.. Incoming QSL Service This generally isn't a speedy method but it saves a bundle in postage if you're sending out lots of cards. They can take weeks or months to arrive. Locally I've waited up to a year.

If you really want a QSL, as mentioned above. Send your card with an SASE and return postage. FWIW, I normally never send out paper cards, but will always send one if requested whether there is return postage or not.

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I hope nobody ever sends me a a SASE or greenback without first confirming on-air or via QRZ that I do indeed QSL. I have no cards to send and usually don't even log. I do plan to get my FT8 contacts connected to LoTW eventually but I'm not an award seeker and tend to live more in the moment, enjoying the experience of a contact made and moving on.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I hope nobody ever sends me a a SASE or greenback without first confirming on-air or via QRZ that I do indeed QSL. I have no cards to send and usually don't even log. I do plan to get my FT8 contacts connected to LoTW eventually but I'm not an award seeker and tend to live more in the moment, enjoying the experience of a contact made and moving on.

LOTW is a breeze to set up. Easy to upload your QSOs too. I automatically upload all non-contesting QSOs to eQSL/LOTW. For contesting QSOs, I'll import them into DXLab afterward, and then will push them to eQSL and LOTW. Then once every week or two I'll log into QRZ.Com and have them grab my QSOs from LOTW. I personally only care about LOTW. But seems a lot of non-contesting DX stations really care a lot about eQSL.

Since I've been back on the air in the past 1.5 years, I've only sent out two QSL cards via postal mail, and that was after somebody sent me QSLs requesting a reply.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
No stinking online QSL BS for me! Only for Field Day contacts have I received a card or two in many years! Kinda weird as that’s the shortest, lamest contact ever! But the special events call was registered by me so I got the cards! Confirmed in the logs, printed a card from a photo we took and dropped it in the mail!!!

N4KVE

Years ago when the Space Shuttle carried a Motorola MX on two meters to make contact with hams, we’d try to make contact with the shuttle. And NASA would issue QSL cards to hams that actually spoke to the astronaut who was a ham. So one day a bunch of Motorola employees from the Plantation factory who were all hams spoke to the astronaut from the club station located at the factory. All the hams who took part in this expected an individual QSL card. However NASA only sent one QSL to the club station since that’s where the transmissions started from. The hams were upset they did not get their own QSL’s, but NASA did not budge, and the club station got the only QSL card.

fasteddy64

Before sending anyone a QSL card it is a good idea to check their QRZ page first. Under the "Details" tab there is a place for the station to list their QSL preferences (if they choose to list it". Some people have no interest in exchanging cards.
Ed
KG5UN

Spankymedic7

after 50+ years of operating , if I really want a QSL card from a contact, I mail one out first, usually with a SASE! Time and money just ain't what it used to be.

Now see, that's what I have an issue with. Why pay for someone else's envelope and postage when you already pay for your own? Personally, I HATE when operators do that. I avoid exchanging with them.

jaymatt1978

I think some of you are missing a pretty important point. I was at the lighthouse activating it! I wasn't at my home station and I wasn't looking for a log rag chew!! I sent out QSL cards saying I was out at the lighthouse and I wanted the QSL Cards s proof I activated the lighthouse!! So I sent the cards out!! I would think i would get one or two back!!!

fasteddy64

I think some of you are missing a pretty important point. I was at the lighthouse activating it! I wasn't at my home station and I wasn't looking for a log rag chew!! I sent out QSL cards saying I was out at the lighthouse and I wanted the QSL Cards s proof I activated the lighthouse!! So I sent the cards out!! I would think i would get one or two back!!!
Perhaps its just a sign of the times.
Fewer and Fewer stations are actually taking to time to have cards printed anymore, they are satisfied with an electronic confirmation.
I am sorry that you didnt get the response you wanted.

I got a card from a satellite contact a few weeks back and it caught me off guard for sure! I had to scramble an make up a card by hand to reply.

KD8DVR

Perhaps its just a sign of the times.
Fewer and Fewer stations are actually taking to time to have cards printed anymore, they are satisfied with an electronic confirmation.
I am sorry that you didnt get the response you wanted.

I got a card from a satellite contact a few weeks back and it caught me off guard for sure! I had to scramble an make up a card by hand to reply.
Oh yeah. Sat communications generally warrant a card. I always send a card for a sat contact.