Very Happy With the BCD536 (and Upman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightjock

With so many threads dedicated to first run production issues, early firmware versions, folks who don't take time to read the directions/forums before posting, people berating or being impatient with UpMan, etc....

I'd like to take a moment to say.....I love my BCD536. What a cool piece of gear!

Yep, mine has the headphone issue. Yes I will be sending it back and that's a mild inconvenience, but whatever. Sure I'm anxiously waiting for the Siren app to be released and I check here every day for an announcement that it's ready. Sentinel needs some major improvements and I hope to someday run it on a Mac without any trickery.

But, I love my 536 and all of the things it CAN do. And it will only improve from here.

And for the love of all that is scanner geekery, please please please realize how lucky we are to have a guy like Paul (upman) in a position to work directly with us in these forums. Try interacting this way with the person that developed your cell phone, tv, car, or coffee maker. All you would hear back is......nothing.

I'll get off of my soap box now and go see what my scanner recorded off of the Tac channels while I was sleeping. (How cool is that?!?)

jrrob8

I to love mine, will return to get the updates, just waiting to get STARS. can adjust to everything else.

testdummy

With so many threads dedicated to first run production issues, early firmware versions, folks who don't take time to read the directions/forums before posting, people berating or being impatient with UpMan, etc....

I'd like to take a moment to say.....I love my BCD536. What a cool piece of gear!

Yep, mine has the headphone issue. Yes I will be sending it back and that's a mild inconvenience, but whatever. Sure I'm anxiously waiting for the Siren app to be released and I check here every day for an announcement that it's ready. Sentinel needs some major improvements and I hope to someday run it on a Mac without any trickery.

But, I love my 536 and all of the things it CAN do. And it will only improve from here.

And for the love of all that is scanner geekery, please please please realize how lucky we are to have a guy like Paul (upman) in a position to work directly with us in these forums. Try interacting this way with the person that developed your cell phone, tv, car, or coffee maker. All you would hear back is......nothing.

I'll get off of my soap box now and go see what my scanner recorded off of the Tac channels while I was sleeping. (How cool is that?!?)

Nice! I'm a ditto on every bit of that. (I even went and bought a cheap windows laptop to deal with the mac problem and I'm not unhappy at all about it.) I like the 536 so much I have a 436 on order to add to the collection.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
for the love of all that is scanner geekery, please please please realize how lucky we are to have a guy like Paul (upman) in a position to work directly with us in these forums. Try interacting this way with the person that developed your cell phone, tv, car, or coffee maker. All you would hear back is......nothing.

So very true. Some folks forget how nice it is to have the Director of Product Development and lead product architect respond almost daily to the many questions and concerns.

I'm also very happy with my (2) BCD536HP's and my BCD436HP. These scanners will only get better over time with additional options and firmware upgrades. I can't wait to see what the future brings. Great job Uniden!

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Others for their poor digital reception on trunked systems (me for one).

Hmm, thanks, I am reading the head phone issue now. Does not realy apply to me but I am curious. However the digital issue is a concern. I have noticed a a lack of reception on mine. Thanks.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Same here, really happy with the way UPMan is handling the situation. I'm on my 2nd 536HP and this one is a keeper. Just purchased the ARC536 and waiting to download the beta version. Looking forward to the Analyze mode and Siren App.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
After reading UPman's advise it seemed to work. It does seem to scan a lot better now. unfortunately where I am parked at work, the signals from the cell towers on our roof messes with the State Police system here.

Salvation

After the NFM/FM changes I have a happier outlook on my purchase of the 536HP.. I hope they will get a final workaround with the firmware update and will do the P25 test when I get home. I am looking forward to getting the OmniX antenna by next week which will help my reception on a few weak signals I am dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

Here, here! I couldn't agree more (except that I have the 436 so mine's cooler - I can take it with me - lol)

Everyone who is giving Paul a hard time really needs to stop and put themselves in his shoes for a moment. I was there once. At one time the scanner software I wrote was the top selling scanner software available - and it had WAY more bugs than this scanner does. And OH MY GOD did I get an unending ration of crap over that software. Some deserved, but most of it not. It got so bad I finally quit and told the community to basically get stuffed. Not the best decision, in hindsight, but I'd already had more than enough.

It is truly a thankless, tiresome, endless job to support a product for scannerheads. I've never seen a group of people so overly demanding and completely unforgiving. Let's all take a minute and say "thanks" to guys like Paul, Unitrunker, DSDAuthor, and countless others who have dedicated countless hours to take us from the "horse and buggy" days of 10 channel scanners to radios like today's new Unidens and for software like Unitrunker and DSD that just a few years ago would have been considered impossible to produce. We've definitely come a long way and it wouldn't have happened without guys like Paul, so bear that in mind the next time a new scanner comes out that isn't 100% flawless and perfect. As my father once famously said, "***** happens".

-AZ

Highpockets

Here, here! I couldn't agree more (except that I have the 436 so mine's cooler - I can take it with me - lol)

Everyone who is giving Paul a hard time really needs to stop and put themselves in his shoes for a moment. I was there once. At one time the scanner software I wrote was the top selling scanner software available - and it had WAY more bugs than this scanner does. And OH MY GOD did I get an unending ration of crap over that software. Some deserved, but most of it not. It got so bad I finally quit and told the community to basically get stuffed. Not the best decision, in hindsight, but I'd already had more than enough.

It is truly a thankless, tiresome, endless job to support a product for scannerheads. I've never seen a group of people so overly demanding and completely unforgiving. Let's all take a minute and say "thanks" to guys like Paul, Unitrunker, DSDAuthor, and countless others who have dedicated countless hours to take us from the "horse and buggy" days of 10 channel scanners to radios like today's new Unidens and for software like Unitrunker and DSD that just a few years ago would have been considered impossible to produce. We've definitely come a long way and it wouldn't have happened without guys like Paul, so bear that in mind the next time a new scanner comes out that isn't 100% flawless and perfect. As my father once famously said, "***** happens".

-AZ

You'll pick up a few Christmas cards this year. :p

jrrob8

am very happy with my 536, it is actually outdoing my 106, and everything is working properly, since changing the NFM to FM on the STARS system. I had changed the step to 7.5 several days ago, not even thinking about the modulation, would have been nice if I had. the reason for changing the step was I couldn't enter 152.5475, it would automatically change up to 152.5550 and I didn't think the scanner was recognizing the freq. I just want to say that I haven't found anything that is not working right now. I not even sure that the audio from front speaker jack has any problems. I did order the ground loop isolation transformer for the rear speaker jack, it is noisy when hooked to the computer. hope the cable helps and I won't have to send the scanner off. the 800 I had worked good but was a pita.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
AZ: Actually, you just happen to see my posts, but the real credit goes to a great team of engineers that take my fuzzy ideas and make them into these magical little boxes that actually do what the images in my brain did...and usually better. I've passed your last paragraph to them, but asked that when they read it they replace "Paul" with their own name, as they are the real reason things get done.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
AZ: Actually, you just happen to see my posts, but the real credit goes to a great team of engineers that take my fuzzy ideas and make them into these magical little boxes that actually do what the images in my brain did...and usually better. I've passed your last paragraph to them, but asked that when they read it they replace "Paul" with their own name, as they are the real reason things get done.

You raise a great point - I can't imagine what kind of electronic engineering brainiac it takes to make radios like the x36 a reality. I'm a pretty smart guy (well, smart *** mostly :D) but next to guys like that, I'm just an average Joe. Maybe even slightly below. Definitely please do pass along my thanks to those guys for taking your ideas and making great products out of them.

-AZ

kd7eir

I am not only impressed with the support that you provide to us, but I am now equally impressed with your humility.

I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about my 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.