Very high solar flux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Seeing some mention of some solar activity on the NASWA list, I looked at Spaceweather and was shocked to see the solar flux up at 215. It hasn't been that high in several years. You can expect lower HF to be seriously degraded for a few days.

The culprits are two fold - a S1 class radiation storm, and a M4 class flare which let loose with a CME which is expected to glance our geomagnetic field in the next day or two.

As the flux levels start to dip (perhaps around the weekend) expect to see some very odd propagation effects...Mike

mainetrunk

I had a strange noise come thru 1 of my hf freqs, turned up the gain. It happened about 45 minutes ago. I put 99 freqs in my Alinco with no tags. I'll be scannin, thx

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Don't get too gaga over the SF jump. We are at the solar minimum. The sun's magnetic poles just reversed; widely reported in the last week or two.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Dup

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When is the last time you saw a flux that high? It's been quite a few years...and actually, some folks think that the pole reversal is a sign that we're half way thru the solar cycle (not that it's been anything of a big cycle...)

As an aside, if a newcomer wonders why his shiny new HF radio isn't hearing very well, here's one possible reason...

Still it's a pretty interesting event...Mike

Last edited:

Don't get too gaga over the SF jump. We are at the solar minimum. The sun's magnetic poles just reversed; widely reported in the last week or two.

Yes,Solar Minimum is here,Just took an X1 flare,due in the next -24hrs..

I take this in every morning,First time I heard the fella mention aircraft having issues,Maybe they will be going to HF due to the CME's that are inbound..

S0 News January 8, 2014: Star Storms, Spaceweather - YouTube

cj5

Noticed the lower bands being in fairly good condition last night, although a bit in and out. 15MHz WWV was really S9 up until 10pm PST, and then took a dive. Unusual behavior with this flux, but for me it's fairly run-f-the-mill winter conditions.

mainetrunk

I just made a big mistake, tried to run a search 3.000---28.000 mhz, I swear there were freqs where you could actually hear the intensity of the flare. Other entities have noticed the flare as well. At least the tv wont show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.