Very new ... need a push in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

rassy7

Hi, I am a photographer and love aviation photography. I use a VHF scanner to scan weather and civil aviation freqs all the time which help me better position myself to get the shot(s) I want. What I'm facing now, is an airport with an ANG side. I would love to hear the military aircrft transmissions as well but they are UHF and use different freqs my scanner doesn't cover. I'm looking for a cheap (< $100) scanner that will hopefully provide decent range, receive UHF freqs and the proper band for military aircraft (I think it's somewhere between 225 and the hight 300s or 400). Like I said, I'm very new and stumbled upon this scanning idea as a means to position myself for photography, but I have become as addicted to just listening as I possibly can with this scanner. I'm afraid "hobby" is on the doorstep for me.

I read a few other posts on this forum and a recommended handheld (would prefer a handheld) was the Pro 46. It's old and can apparently only be found on eBay. Is this good for what I'm wanting? Are there other, better options?

Thanks for any help,

~Josh

CalebATC

Welcome to military air!

Well, I started flying, then I started listening with a handheld, then stationary milair, then I started getting into ham radio, and now I'm about to upgrade to my Amateur General licence (Still flying, obviously!)...... trust me... you will probably get into Amateur. Just prepare to open up the wallet :)

Well, their are many different scanners out their that will do the job. My favorite it the Radio Shack PRO-164 Triple Truncker. It does wonderful at everything. Usually, I just listen to VHF/UHF Tower, Ground, and Clearance when spotting, but I have two other banks for 1) APP/DEP (TRACON) 2) base/airport security.

The RS 164 does very good at milair. Although, I would recommend another mobile rubber ducky antenna for spotting, since the RS 164 antenna is not the best for UHF/VHF. I'm sure other people will come in with comments on that.

After I did spotting, along with flying at the airport, I started getting into milair a lot. I just got a Scantenna ST-2 antenna, mounted it on the roof, and whala, you have a home setup. I don't have the money to go buy a desk radio, so I still use my RS 164 connected to my AT-197 Discone. Works wonderful.

RS-164: PRO-164 1000-Channel Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

And for military, most are in 225-400 MHz. Although, some squadrons (but few) will use LVHF 30-40 MHz FM, these are usually the case in Army helicopters, and C-130 units ( Someone correct me on the LVHF frequencies) Some use 138-144 MHz, these are usually F-16 squadrons. The RS 164 covers all of those.

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Where are you located? I too, am an aviation photographer, and I always have my scanner with me. One thing you may want to be on the look out for: The police! We all know aviation photography is a hobby, but the LE are always alerted by someone that you could be a terrorist, so they come out and investigate you! Where ever you are and take pictures, always do it out in the open so everyone can see you. That way, they won't think that you are a terrorist that is hiding and taking those stealthy photos. And when you have a scanner with you, that adds to the fun! This I know, I've been investigated/questioned by several PD's, US Marshal and the FBI. As of this date, they have found that I am harmless!

rassy7

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the tips and help. Caleb, I can definitely see myself wiggling some money away from my accountant (wife) for a future in radio. Sometimes I have more fun listening than photographing. I will take a close look at each of the suggested radios. What is a rubber ducky, ha ha? It seems to me a Pro radio would make a good start. Also, is RS Radio Shack? Again, very new, sorry.

b7, I'm currently in Boise, Idaho. Gowen Field mainly, but also Mountain Home have a lot of interesting, fun traffic. I know some of the guys in the PA office there and haven't had too much trouble yet, but Gowen is unusually publically accessible so the regulation is really lax. In two years, I've not had one officer stop and only once did a security truck from the base visit me. They took one look at my camera and turned around. That's quite a history you've assembled though -- FBI, Marshals ... wow. I'm glad they're taking it seriously, but wow, lol, talk about being extra sure.

Do you have a website with photos? Where are you located? I work with NYCAviation.com and have an article with photos from Gowen coming out shortly if ya want to see some of my stuff :)

~Josh

CalebATC

Josh,

No problem! We were all ignorant of radios once :)

A rubber ducky is the stock antenna that goes on the handheld scanners. A rubber ducky that is resonant (home) on the aviation air band and military air band will work a lot better. Most of the Radio Shack rubber duckies have more performance on the Public Safety bands, not aviation bands.

RS is Radio Shack.

Anyway, feel free to ask more questions!

And Mike, sounds like you have more security problems than anyone else I have heard of, haha.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Yeah, nothing worse, or fun, then having the FBI coming to your place of work to "ask" you questions (about why you take pictures of airplanes). I guess since I shoot at ATL (the worlds busiest airport), they have/had some concerns. I finally got in touch with the director of ATL and after being "reviewed", I have obtained my letter of authorization for photography there. Now they leave me alone.

I don't have a page where I post, but if you check out the Georgia Forum as well as the Photography Forum, I posted a couple there.

I shoot a Canon EOS350D with 100-300 Sigma lens.

CalebATC

I finally got in touch with the director of ATL and after being "reviewed", I have obtained my letter of authorization for photography there. Now they leave me alone.

I

Out of cursosity... how did you get that? What did you have to do? I want to get one! I get some WIERD looks, haha. They must not bother me since I'm a teen.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Here's my recommendation for a good milair combo. Either a used Pro-97 (it's been replaced by the Pro-164) or the Pro-164 coupled with the Maldol AL-500H antenna. Best combo i've ever used for a handheld. Worked flawlessly on my Virginia Beach trip (man i miss that area) and you won't be disappointed.

rassy7

thanks

Ya, B7, I'd be interested in learning about how to get one of those letters too, :) and I'll definitely check out those forums for photos.

Corn, I was actually looking at the PRO 97. I found a few on eBay. I'm still getting the hang of scanning, but if it goes well, I'll probably look at at combo. Thanks a lot for the recommendation. Also, I bet VA beach was Awesome!

~Josh

K6CRB

Premium Subscriber
Couple things. At the joint field you photograph at most of the time they will simulcast VHF/UHF Tower etc so if you monitor VHF you should know when the milair gets clearance to go and be ready to shoot.

I know most parts of the country are different but shooting at LAX draws almost no attention at all, and I am one of the watchers so to speak. I don't know of anyone who has been hassled for taking photos at LAX.

Check out www.fencecheck.com I think you will like it.

Chet K6CRB

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the hobby.

I have a Pro 97. Great scanner. Just a reminder that Radio Shack has a black Friday sale around 23 Nov thru 28 time frame. Some of the better ones for 99 bucks. If possibile get the newer technology. The stock rubber ducky will work, not very well, but an after market antenna will be much better. Diamond has some very good ones, Maldol AL-500H was mentioned. Go to eham.com and research them. This will give you an idea as to what works and what others are using. Scanning normally leads to Ham radio so be prepared. Been a ham since 1985, been listening for a lot longer.

PS. Make sure that the specs say your NEW scanner will work on the frequencies you want. some of the advertisements are confusing. Probably because I am older that most of you.

John
KB4OIF

Status
Not open for further replies.