Very new. Need help knowing what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfingguy

Bought a BCD996XT and want to use software to load it up. Question, if i pay for subscription here and download a CSV file of frequencies in my county and then use the free version of BC Tool, is that what i need to get this programming done and start enjoying my purchase?

JoeyC

If you are impatient and know how to operate this scanner already you may benefit from getting a subscription and downloading directly from the site into software. (I don't know anything about BC Tool though).

I recently bought this same scanner and was completely unfamiliar with it so I needed to take baby steps learning how to program and operate it. I decided to use FreeScan as my programming software and am very satisfied with it even as a non paying member. FreeScan has an EZ Grab feature that allows you to cut and paste large amounts of data from the database here and import it into FreeScan. Doing it this way I was able to learn the hows and whys of programming this scanner and I didn't need buy a premium membership doing so.

I love it btw.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
golfing before you go further, I would highly advise reading the Easier to Read programming guide for the 996XT. You can use the Uniden guide as a cupholder. DMA radios are very different animals - there are no banks, for example - and you have to learn to think in different terms. The DMA FAQ also has a great deal of information on this subject.

You will also need a USB-serial cable to connect the scanner and PC. Our wiki also has an extensive article that covers that subject.

They're all linked from here...

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You didn't say where you are (you really should update your profile - county/state will do fine) - but we have a number of state forums where someone in your state could send you a working file. Sometimes that helps in having the light bulb turn on

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.