Very new newbie - Indianapolis Public Safety system, help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
Good morning! I just purchased a Radio Shack Pro-106. Being brand new (as in no knowledge whatsoever), I knew I'd be in for a long, steep learning curve. I really think I need to pick up a "For Dummies" book to get me started, as the technology seems more daunting than any other I've tackled in the past.

My short term goal is to listen to the Speedway talkgroup, in the Indianapolis Department of Public Safety system. Long term goal would be to add IMPD also.

I downloaded PSREdit 500 and downloading the talkgroup info for just Speedway and uploading to my scanner was deceptively simple. I say deceptively, because when I upload to the scanner, I do not hear anything. Back to the steep learning curve - there is obviously something more I need to do than this, but since I have virtually no knowledge, it's tough to get started, understand all the concepts and make it work. That also makes it tough to ask the right questions to get help. As I said, in PSREdit, all the info is there...just not sure why it isn't picking up anything while scanning.

To get started, any help would be appreciated as I read through everything I can...it's overwhelming! LOL

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Welcome to RR Jennifer.

Zip your PSREdit file and post it here. Many of us can help by looking at the file.

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
File attached

That would be great, thanks. All I did was import from the database "as is." Again, being new, I didn't know what other things I could check / uncheck or edit.

I eventually want to scan more besides just the Speedway talkgroup - even activity at the nearby Indianapolis Motor Speedway or metro PD, and weather; but for now I wanted to try one small area that might help wrap my head around how things work and are organized. Hopefully in time it will start clicking, but I need to be patient!

Thanks. :)

Attachments

• PRO-106Scanner.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 56

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Try editing these three control channels (CC) into system.
851.53750c
851.83750c
852.11250c

BTW, you can copy these and paste below 859.9875 using right click. On popup, select import.

Last edited:

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I added those (took me a moment to find the editor), now instead of the 24 frequencies of the Public Safety System, I have 27. Those three are from the Government System? Unfortunately, it's still just scanning - and just silence.

Any other ideas would be VERY appreciated. I attached an updated version of the file in case anyone else has a moment to look it over.

Attachments

• PRO-106Scanner-UPDATED.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 50

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
I do have 5 bars at the moment, it's just scanning. The sad part is, I did something yesterday and actually heard some transmissions. Bummer. I'll keep working on this, and if anyone else knows of anything that might help, I'd appreciate all responses.

Thank you!!

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I had gotten Indy Metro to work just fine yesterday, but not Speedway. Ironically, I just loaded up your file, and Metro on scan list 2 is just fine. I flipped it over to Speedway and I'm getting some sporadic transmissions. It's better than none at all, I think there's some progress anyway. I'm hopeful it'll work at some point - maybe Speedway is just quiet. I'm feeling better that I actually was able to get it right and listen to something. Thanks for your help - looking at the file, I guess I did OK - so as I work through things, it ought to start making sense - slowly!

I also watch this site of live 911 reports, it's interesting to see what's happening and listen to the scanner along with it. Interactive: Indy 911 Calls V2.0 | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Jenn,

After attaching above zip I opened PSREdit and highlighted all PD talkgroups, then copied them to Speedway TSYS using right click. Then deleted INDY Police because all control freqs were already in Speedway TSYS.

BTW, very nice interactive link from the Star.

SCPD

QRT
Do not try and program these as one system they are two diffrent systems if you try and put all the CC in one list it will not work for Speedway and IMPD just set up these 4 CC in the list for system 1 public safety
System 1 PD/FD

The IMPD/ Speed way system 1 uses two CC all the time these are the ones most of the time used

If you try and program both systems as one it will confuse the scanner and you wont hear anything.
Hope this helps

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help - just so I'm clear, here's what I have now.

Even though they are all part of the Indianapolis Department of Public Safety, in my software I have two systems listed under Trunking Objects: First, I have Indianapolis, which has the first 4 system frequencies you listed only (I don't need all frequencies, just the four CC?). I assigned it as Scan list 2 and it contains the Indianapolis Metro talkgroups

For Speedway, it's in Scan List 1. I have the two CC you listed for the frequencies . I have 8 Speedway talkgroups.

Metro is just fine; but I'm still not hearing Speedway (I am scanning both systems currently), but then maybe there's just no communication in Speedway? I'd think I'd hear something...it's not THAT sleepy here for me to hear nothing since last night.

Just for giggles, I uploaded my file as it exists now, just updated per your instructions.

Do not try and program these as one system they are two diffrent systems if you try and put all the CC in one list it will not work for Speedway and IMPD just set up these 4 CC in the list for system 1 public safety
System 1 PD/FD

The IMPD/ Speed way system 1 uses two CC all the time these are the ones most of the time used

If you try and program both systems as one it will confuse the scanner and you wont hear anything.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• PRO-106Scanner-UPDATED.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 46

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking all is well and Speedway is just not active while I have been listening. I just heard a few quick transmissions, so I think it's OK. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as I go along, but I have a much better grasp on the organization of a trunking system and talkgroups. Not all-inclusive comprehension of course, but at least a basic of idea of how it needs to be set up.

My question is, since I was able to download the information for Speedway and Indianapolis as separate systems, I wonder how come I ended up with all frequencies for each? I wouldn't have known two CC were for Speedway and the others for IMPD.

SCPD

QRT
I'm sorry should have been more clear Speedway and IMPD are both on the same system and CC it is just the government talk groups that are not the freqs listed earlier in this thread where for system 2 gov so you would have not heard any PD/FD radio traffic. The 4 that I listed are for System 1 PD/FD and you should hear radio traffic with those 4 CC so realy all you need is just those 4 for speedway and IMPD

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
OK, thanks for the clarification - I didn't think I needed the GOV system 2.

As far as the system 1 frequencies, instead of the 24 individual frequencies, I only need the 4 CC? Or is it OK to have all of the frequencies? What's the advantage or disadvantage of listing them all vs. just the CC?

Thank you...

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Just be aware that you'll need to add talkgroup 10202, Marion County Fire Dispatch, to hear Speedway Fire being dispatched.

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
Just be aware that you'll need to add talkgroup 10202, Marion County Fire Dispatch, to hear Speedway Fire being dispatched.

Thanks for the info; I do want to scan Speedway Fire, but not IFD, so I don't have Marion County Fire Dispatch. I will add that to my file.

IndyRick

Well, JenniferRT66!! Hello old friend! So nice to see you (and Pat) entering the world of scanning. If I can help, please let me know..but I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not very familiar with the 106. :)

A big Hearty Welcome from IndyRick...aka N9GSU....aka The Dulcimer Guy. :)

JenniferRT66

Premium Subscriber
Well, JenniferRT66!! Hello old friend! So nice to see you (and Pat) entering the world of scanning. If I can help, please let me know..but I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not very familiar with the 106. :)

A big Hearty Welcome from IndyRick...aka N9GSU....aka The Dulcimer Guy. :)

Well hello to you Rick!!! Wow, first geocaching, then Route 66, now radios and scanning. Small world indeed. Our interest stems directly from being in the most recent Speedway Police Citizens Academy class. It was a great experience beyond our expectations!! I'd like to be helpful in Neighborhood Watch, or with our Alumni Association (or future volunteer program), so I thought a scanner might be helpful in case I see a suspect who might have been described, I can call that in to the dept. I'm very enthused to help out SPD and can't wait for the Alumni Association to get together and see where that leads in terms of volunteer opportunities. But we just graduated Tuesday after a 12 week session, so there will be a little break for a while before we start that. SPD needs a breather from all their hard work with the class - which was VERY appreciated. They're awesome.

Anyway, using the PRO-106 is one thing, but just understanding all of the concepts of radios and scanners is very daunting. I'm getting there and know enough to get my scanner programmed using the software; I'm just trying to make sure I have the right frequencies for the TGs I want to listen to. So, I'll probably ask questions about that. I also would like to get a tech license to be able to carry the scanner with me. Everyone says it's easy, but possessing no knowledge whatsoever, it's tough for me to have the confidence to feel that way! So I might have some questions about that or about the Indy databases.

I have some new things to tweak in my file when I get home, but so far I think I have everything right.

Status
Not open for further replies.