Very new user

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaoldt

I've always thought this would be interesting and I now wish I had paid more attention to my used-to-be- police-dispatcher uncle when I was a kid. Recently my husband passed away and it gets awfully quiet at night and strangely it's comforting to listen to at night. I guess I'm passively nosey... I have a new phone and downloaded a free police scanner app to my phone. Then I thought it would be fun to try and listen over the internet and I found this site. I would like to understand the codes they use and haven't a clue where to start. Do all police departments have their own codes? I thought 10 codes were no longer used. Advice regarding educating myself about this hobby is welcome!

kaoldt/Tina

Hirschkorn

I'm not sure if they are current or not. But I found them on a web site.

SARNIA POLICE 10-CODE SYSTEM:
10-1 Receiving poorly
10-35 Major crime alert
10-2 Receiving well 10-36 Correct time
10-3 Stop transmitting 10-38 Investigation alert
10-4 Acknowledgement 10-45 Death or fatality
10-5 Relay 10-50 Accident (F, PI, PD)
10-6 Busy, stand-by unless urgent 10-51 Tow truck needed
10-7 Out of service 10-52 Ambulance needed
10-8 In service 10-60 Subject is negative
10-9 Repeat 10-61 Subject has record, not wanted
10-10 Common channel request 10-62 Subject possibly wanted
10-16 Pick up prisoner at _____ 10-63 Subject is positive hit
10-18 Complete assignment quickly 10-64 Proceed with caution
10-19 Return to your station 10-65 Assist re: 10-64 individual
10-20 What is your location 10-66 Subject in observation category
10-21 Call ____ by telephone 10-67 Subject in parolee category
10-26 Detaining subject, expedite 10-68 Subject in charged category
10-28 Vehicle registration check 10-78 Need assistance
10-29 Check records for wanted 10-90 Bank alarm
10-30 Improper use of radio 10-92 Person in custody
10-33 Emergency 10-93 Blockage, set up roadblock
10-100 Bomb threat

kaoldt

Not sure why

I can't pick up anything in Sarnia, even though that's my location. I often listen to Middlesex, Huron or Chatham/Kent. Interestingly, the first time I listened to Middlesex was the day of the tornado in Goderich and they were asking for help to go up to Goderich. I have family up there and called right away. Fortunately only moderate damage to the house and everyone was safe.

Tina

satosi

Look on the wiki at this site too, it has some police codes. There may be ones specific to your area, so see if your county has an article on the wiki.

a29zuk

I can't pick up anything in Sarnia, even though that's my location. I often listen to Middlesex, Huron or Chatham/Kent. Interestingly, the first time I listened to Middlesex was the day of the tornado in Goderich and they were asking for help to go up to Goderich. I have family up there and called right away. Fortunately only moderate damage to the house and everyone was safe.

Tina

Welcome to RadioReference!
According to the database on this website the Sarnia Police is P25 digital. Also the main fire dispatch is TRBO which is unmonitorable by any scanner. You haven't stated in your posts which scanner model you have. In order to hear the Sarnia Police you will need one of the newer digital scanners.

Jim

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference! Do you have a handheld or base scanner yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.