Very Severe Hurricane Season Ahead, Say Top Meterologists

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I'm not wishing for anything! Having lived in SW Florida for quite some time... I'm used to the usual "season forecast" of all the powerful storms heading our way each year. It tends to scare people! And some folks I know think these forecasts are cut in stone. These forecasts are rarely correct. It's "my opinion" that the prediction of how many named storms there will be and how many are going to "tear the hell" out of some coastline is waaaaaaay overly exaggerated each year. I hate this "cry wolf" mentality. :)

CalebATC

I'm not wishing for anything! Having lived in SW Florida for quite some time... I'm used to the usual "season forecast" of all the powerful storms heading our way each year. It tends to scare people! And some folks I know think these forecasts are cut in stone. These forecasts are rarely correct. It's "my opinion" that the prediction of how many named storms there will be and how many are going to "tear the hell" out of some coastline is waaaaaaay overly exaggerated each year. I hate this "cry wolf" mentality. :)

Boy, I'm glad to be out of Florida!!! :)

RayAir

I'll believe it when I see it.

Even with technological advances I find they still can't predict the weather in advance.

D

DaveNF2G

There are some meteorologists and others who say that the Gulf of Mexico will have no hurricanes this year or next because of the oil spill. They cite the friction-reducing properties of oil and the need for friction between air and water for hurricane development.

I don't know how good their science is, but as with global warming, there are more than one point of view, resulting in different predictions.

CalebATC

There are some meteorologists and others who say that the Gulf of Mexico will have no hurricanes this year or next because of the oil spill. They cite the friction-reducing properties of oil and the need for friction between air and water for hurricane development.

I don't know how good their science is, but as with global warming, there are more than one point of view, resulting in different predictions.

Theres another one at it's finest. Global warming.

Now, I don't know how the heck oil would prevent a hurricane. Anyway, oil's in the gulf, not the Atlantic.

D

DaveNF2G

The "Atlantic Hurricane Season" encompasses the North Atlantic, the Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Soooooooooooo... how many hurricane hits to the US in this "most active storm season ever forcast" so far?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Looks like most forecasts have been right, we're on the R storm with more time to go yet...

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Let me be the first... next year will be a record year for hurricanes and some more fish will get wet? :)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Let me be the first... next year will be a record year for hurricanes and some more fish will get wet? :)

Too late - you already criticized those who said this would be an above-normal year, and they were right...

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
But the forcasters say every year is going to be a record number year. I might as well jump on the band wagan. Lets see... it's going to rain, be windy and a lot of hurricanes next year. Now I'm a forcaster too! Oh... and there won't be any hurricanes in Michigan! I should get paid for this.... :)

RayAir

Yeah, well they can't predict snowfall amounts until the storm is right there and they can't predict severe weather that reliably unless it is again "right there", so I highly doubt they can predict months ahead on the hurricane season. Talk about taking a crapshoot.

Right again.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
But the forcasters say every year is going to be a record number year.

They didn't say that this year, and it won't be.

They didn't say 2009 would be a record, and it wasn't.

They didn't say 2008 would be a record, and it wasn't.

Hmmm... Something doesn't compute.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
“If this outlook holds true, this season could be one of the more active on record,” said Jane Lubchenco, Ph.D., under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator. “The greater likelihood of storms brings an increased risk of a landfall. In short, we urge everyone to be prepared.”

rdale

Premium Subscriber
We are through storm R, which is more active than the 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 08 and 09 seasons. And I stopped searching at 1998.

So thanks for backing up my claim, and their forecast. I'll take your post as a subtle attempt at an apology, and it's accepted.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
With a T storm now, we only have two more letters before getting into Greek names. Seems like a busier-than-normal season to me with a few weeks left yet...

JoeyC

More wet fish. When was the last time a hurricane made landfall in the US... 2008?

You sound very foolish. There will be storms, this year and every year. If you don't understand meteorology, perhaps take some classes. You sound silly bashing a field that you apparently have no knowledge of. It is impossible to predict with 100% certainty what a storm will do, especially far in advance of it. Warnings are there to keep people aware. Crying wolf? That would be the individuals stupidity to brush off warnings based on whether there are too many false alarms. If there were no warnings, you'd probably be the guy that *****ed that there was no notification.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
From Jesse Ferrell @ Weathermatrix / AW:

AccuWeather.com - WeatherMatrix | Haiti, Hazel, Hurricanes, Record Season and Tomas

In other news, Tomas puts us on our 19th named storm, or 21 if you count Depressions. That puts us in the second or third busiest Atlantic season ever, depending on how you count it.

YEAR: Total Systems (Depressions)
2005: 31 (4) = 27 "Named"
1933: 21 (0) = 21 "Named"
2010: 21 (2) = 19 "Named"
2003: 20 (5) = 15 "Named"

Divine83

Goes to show that meteorologist do not control the weather. No such thing as mother nature. It is Father GOD that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.