Very simple BCT-15 install..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
there's no room in the vehicle (an MG) for radios. There's an FT-8900 in the "trunk" with a sep. kit and the remote head mounted under the dash on the right of the wheel.

Sooo, the BCT-15 just sits on top of the dash - although the space seems to be made for it. It's not left there all the time, just when it's needed.

closecall.jpg

Antennas are three ham-sexy magmounts which are only put on the car as and when. By the way, I know the Hamsexy.com guys watch this site, and I'm a member of there, so please don't post the pics there without my permission - the antennas border on ham-sexiness I know, and I may put the pics there myself later for y'all to snigger (I said snigger!) at.

the_PHJ_mobile.jpg

[edit - we don't drive with the hatch up, we were parked up and I couldn't be bothered to shut it to take the pic]

Last edited:

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Mm, thanks. It doesn't really need hiding per se, as the thing is only there for about 4 hours a week, but yeah... if we could get the wire out of the way somehow it'd look better.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Watch how hot that scanner will get in the summertime up on the dash. You might want to be careful about that...

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Do you really use those portable scanner antennas mounted on those magnets like your photos show? Put some real car antennas out there.

Gilligan

Database Admin
5/8 Wave works great for VHF-high or maybe a dual-band 2m/440 for wide-band coverage. Those antennas could be stolen easily, too.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
k0pwo said:
Do you really use those portable scanner antennas mounted on those magnets like your photos show? Put some real car antennas out there.

Wow you guys are a tough crowd.

I know some of you are die-hard hams and your cars are an extension of the hobby - this one isn't. It's a family car and the other people in the family don't want gay antennas stuck all over it ;)

And the only time those antennas can get stolen is if the car gets left alone with them on, and with the 15 on the dash - which never happens.

Re: Heat - it doesn't actually get that hot on the dash. The main problem is the sun reflecting off the top of the radio - even though its black the sun does glare a bit.

Last edited:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Napalm said:
Wow you guys are a tough crowd.

I know some of you are die-hard hams and your cars are an extension of the hobby - this one isn't. It's a family car and the other people in the family don't want gay antennas stuck all over it ;)

My recently licensed step-daughter refuses to drive my car (see pics previously posted) "because it has too many antennas." Since I put the two radios in my wife's car (with associated antennas - see pic below), my step-daughter is hesitant to drive it now! Gee, if I put on a few more, will she be asking her friends for rides instead of borrowing the family car(s)?"

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Napalm said:
Antennas are three ham-sexy magmounts which are only put on the car as and when. By the way, I know the Hamsexy.com guys watch this site, and I'm a member of there, so please don't post the pics there without my permission - the antennas border on ham-sexiness I know, and I may put the pics there myself later for y'all to snigger (I said snigger!) at.

That won't stop someone from posting a link to this thread....same difference.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
K9WSS said:
My recently licensed step-daughter refuses to drive my car (see pics previously posted) "because it has too many antennas." Since I put the two radios in my wife's car (with associated antennas - see pic below), my step-daughter is hesitant to drive it now! Gee, if I put on a few more, will she be asking her friends for rides instead of borrowing the family car(s)?"

My sister doesnt even bother to ask to drive my car because it has too many antennas on it. The funny thing is theres only 2 antennas on it and one is a small UHF antenna that hardly be seen! She also hates the dashlight that I have and it bugs her while she drives. But whatever works to keep her away from my car.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
stateboy said:
That won't stop someone from posting a link to this thread....same difference.

S'ok go for it. It'll save me the time :D

Hah, beat you to it :D :D :D

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
If you're worried about the scanner getting overly hot, you could (carefully) paint the top of the case flat silver colour. This would reflect most of the heat away from the unit. Black sucks up heat like a sponge.

sglass

It's not that bad.

I've seen much worse.

I do agree with using lip mounts though. You can always take off the whips.

Oh, and to the guy witht he step-daughter that is ashamed of the vehicle-GODD. Now she can geta job, save up, and buy her own car an insurance. A free isn't good enough for her? Then no ride at all.

On a side note, for s&g's I had an amber light bar on my pickup wired up to go on whenever the car started. My mom didn't even care when she used it. (Keep in mind, I only put the bar on when she was going to borrow it-just to mess with her). Oh and at the time I have a 1/2 wave 6 metter whip on a ball mount and the 4 antennas on the roof.

dwag40

Hello Napalm,
I have few questions about your install, good job by the way !
Did you buy the BCT-15 in the UK, or from the US ?
What do you use it for ? In the UK there doesn't seem to be much trunked traffic, and now with Airwave, no Police traffic.
Have you ever been stopped by the Police with your scanner in view ? If so what was their reaction ? !
Thanks,
Dave
PS. It makes a nice change to see a pic with the steering wheel on the "correct" side for once ! ! ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.