Very Strange BC246T Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal703

A gentalman brought a 246 to me. It only has two menu options, "program new system" and "search/closecall"

I do a master restore 2+9+HOLD and somtimes I get "program new systems" and "Xfer information"

I don't know what firmware was in the radio but I preformed a sucessful firmware upgrade to 2.60 and the scanner performs the same way.

I can't modify systems, change settings or really anything else. Somthing is REALLY messed up in this thing and I've never seen it before. I would consider myslef an advanced user of Uniden equipment and am at a loss.

I can blow in some systems using Butel ARC but then when I manually move the knob to scroll thru the channels, I only see 3-4 of them.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I would lean toward suspecting that the multiselect knob might be making intermittent contact. Try using virtual control from your PC...if the menu items show up when you scroll that way, then it isn't a firmware issue, but probably a mechanical one. (But either way likely to need a trip to repair.)

SCPD

QRT
I had this problem twice with the scroll control. I opened the scanner and cleaned the inside of the knob and then it was fine.

signal703

Great ideas guys. Actually, I work in the radio industry so I'm not shy about the work. The only thing that makes me suspecious of a more serious problem is that after I was able to computer program the scanner...I have no RX. Nothing on weather VHF, nothing on my EDACS system that I maintain. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.