• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vettex vx-180 scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

figgman

I have a VX-180 set up as both a pager and a radio, when i set the radio to scan it often jumps rite back to page or it will scan untill a transmission is heard than will jump to page and stay their untill i manually reset it to scan. other times it will continuously scan without any problems. i really don't want to have to skip page when the radio is on scan, any input would be great, thanks!

Resqu2

I program 3 different Vertex models for my FD and all of them do what you describe. I always leave the page channel off of the scan list. I set the first channel as my priority channel and put the page only channel on the last channel, that way I will hear my fire alert on the first channel if I'm scanning or put it on the page channel when I don't want to hear all the channels. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Axline

I'm a little confused with your problem.
You're saying that you push the scan button and the radio starts the scan, then when there is traffic on any channel it jumps to the page channel?
Does it alert when it does this?
When you say reset, do you mean push the scan button again because the radio went out of scan, or do you mean you push the tone reset button?

Resqu2

I'm a little confused with your problem.
You're saying that you push the scan button and the radio starts the scan, then when there is traffic on any channel it jumps to the page channel?
Does it alert when it does this?
When you say reset, do you mean push the scan button again because the radio went out of scan, or do you mean you push the tone reset button?

On the 3 models of Vertex I deal with while scanning it will just land on the page channel and stay there for no reason. You will only notice when you look at the radio. Im used to it, I just lock out the page channel and all is well.

Axline

On the 3 models of Vertex I deal with while scanning it will just land on the page channel and stay there for no reason. You will only notice when you look at the radio. Im used to it, I just lock out the page channel and all is well.

I never include the page channel in the scan list because the page channel is off duty and there is no need to have it in the scan. If it's set to the priority channel then when any activity is on it it'll stop on that channel but usually the priority channel is the On-duty version of the page channel.
I have programmed a bunch of 180's an off duty channel and never had the problem you guys are describing.
So you hit scan and it's goes into a normal scan then randomly stops on the page channel. After that you have to hit the scan button again to get it to go back into scan, correct?
Is there anyway you could attach the file for the radio or PM it to me? I'll take a look at it for you.

Resqu2

So you hit scan and it's goes into a normal scan then randomly stops on the page channel. After that you have to hit the scan button again to get it to go back into scan, correct?
Is there anyway you could attach the file for the radio or PM it to me? I'll take a look at it for you.

That is what it used to do, I keep the page channel locked out like you said you do and we don't have that problem anymore. so all is good with the 180's.

I do have a problem with programming my newest radio, it's the VX-454, do you have any experience with the 2 tone set up on this model? Or should I start a new thread on my issue? Thanks so much.

Axline

That is what it used to do, I keep the page channel locked out like you said you do and we don't have that problem anymore. so all is good with the 180's.

I do have a problem with programming my newest radio, it's the VX-454, do you have any experience with the 2 tone set up on this model? Or should I start a new thread on my issue? Thanks so much.

I have quite a bit of experience with the 454. What do you have a question about? I should be able to help you out.

Resqu2

I have quite a bit of experience with the 454. What do you have a question about? I should be able to help you out.

I was hoping you would say that. I'm not real experienced with programming radios so I will try to describe my issue the best I can:

As you know the 454 has the ability to "set off" our pagers, guess you call that encoding? Me and another guy who knows a little about programming helped me get it working to begin with. At first I could set off our pagers and it worked good but when I actually receive a page the unit would go off with the alert that I chose but you wouldn't hear what dispatch said, it was like it reset. I kept "messing" with the 2-tone settings and now my radio goes off and I can hear the dispatch like I need to. It becomes an open channel like it should but now I can not set off our pagers.

I know it's a matter of what to check and uncheck in the 2-tone set-up but I'm now afraid to mess with it for fear of loosing what I have.

I have everything else working, love the DW as I can monitor the life saving crew and my fire channel at the same time.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, one other issue I'll ask about, when I upload to my software and save it with a name you can open it later to look at it and my data is not there?

Axline

For the 2-tone system I have the Co Fire channel set-up as On-Duty with the Tx freq programmed it. I also have another channel set-up as Off-Duty without a Tx freq. That way I have an open channel and a closed channel.

The first thing you want to do is make sure you're using the most up to date program and firmware (1.10).

I'm assuming that you have a button set to "call" for the encode signal. This is how I would try it:
  • Open Signaling > 2-Tone System
  • Under the 2-Tone Encode table, set up No. 1 with your tones and check the SEL option.
  • Under the 2-Tone Decode table, set up No.1 with your tones and a TAG of your choice (I use CALLED). I set Call Disp as Blink (it's the little bell icon that shows up on the screen after you are paged). Set AF Mute to Open. Decode LED, LED color, Alert Mode, Repeat and Beep can be set how ever you wish. I have mine set as; Decode LED - Flash(Fast), LED Color - Yellow, Alert Mode - Repeat , Repeat - 3 times, Bell - G.
  • Under 2-Tone System, No. 1 will be the first one to set-up. (The numbers between the 2-tone system and the decode and encode tables collate. When you select a No. for the signalling for a channel you are selecting a number from the system table.)
    Check the duty option. I set reset time as endless,that way the radio will stay in the alert stage(flashing LED and CALLED on display) until I reset it. Moni SW = Both. Leave the rest alone. Under the Decode Code section check option 1.​
  • Now we're going to set the 2-tone on the channel. Click OK on the 2-tone window and it will close and the channel list will reload. Find the channel you want to program the 2-tone for. Double click the "Info" box for that channel, this will bring up the window to change the settings for that channel. On the right hand side toward the bottom you'll find a Signalling block. Under signalling type select 2-tone. Under system No. Select 1. Click OK to close the channel window and download to the radio.

That should set you up with one channel as On-Duty decode and you'll have the ability to page your department from that channel.

If you want an Off-Duty channel set-up as well let me know and I'll walk you through how to do it.

As for the saving issue, are you opening CE-115 and then opening the file you saved through the program?

Last edited:

Resqu2

For the 2-tone system I have the Co Fire channel set-up as On-Duty with the Tx freq programmed it. I also have another channel set-up as Off-Duty without a Tx freq. That way I have an open channel and a closed channel.

The first thing you want to do is make sure you're using the most up to date program and firmware (1.10).

I'm assuming that you have a button set to "call" for the encode signal. This is how I would try it:
  • Open Signaling > 2-Tone System
  • Under the 2-Tone Encode table, set up No. 1 with your tones and check the SEL option.
  • Under the 2-Tone Decode table, set up No.1 with your tones and a TAG of your choice (I use CALLED). I set Call Disp as Blink (it's the little bell icon that shows up on the screen after you are paged). Set AF Mute to Open. Decode LED, LED color, Alert Mode, Repeat and Beep can be set how ever you wish. I have mine set as; Decode LED - Flash(Fast), LED Color - Yellow, Alert Mode - Repeat , Repeat - 3 times, Bell - G.
  • Under 2-Tone System, No. 1 will be the first one to set-up. (The numbers between the 2-tone system and the decode and encode tables collate. When you select a No. for the signalling for a channel you are selecting a number from the system table.)
    Check the duty option. I set reset time as endless,that way the radio will stay in the alert stage(flashing LED and CALLED on display) until I reset it. Moni SW = Both. Leave the rest alone. Under the Decode Code section check option 1.​
  • Now we're going to set the 2-tone on the channel. Click OK on the 2-tone window and it will close and the channel list will reload. Find the channel you want to program the 2-tone for. Double click the "Info" box for that channel, this will bring up the window to change the settings for that channel. On the right hand side toward the bottom you'll find a Signalling block. Under signalling type select 2-tone. Under system No. Select 1. Click OK to close the channel window and download to the radio.

That should set you up with one channel as On-Duty decode and you'll have the ability to page your department from that channel.

If you want an Off-Duty channel set-up as well let me know and I'll walk you through how to do it.

As for the saving issue, are you opening CE-115 and then opening the file you saved through the program?

Thank you so much for the help so far, at the moment I'm not any getting pages on the page channel so I'm not sure what is up now. I did notice that I don't have the same firmware that you listed, where in the world do I get it at? Dealer? Thanks again.

Axline

Thank you so much for the help so far, at the moment I'm not any getting pages on the page channel so I'm not sure what is up now. I did notice that I don't have the same firmware that you listed, where in the world do I get it at? Dealer? Thanks again.

It's no problem. You could get it from your dealer but if for some reason you can't PM me your email address and I will send it to you. Once you update your FW to 1.10 we'll go from there. I was having some issues with the 2-tone stuff not working properly until I updated and whala it was fixed.

Resqu2

It's no problem. You could get it from your dealer but if for some reason you can't PM me your email address and I will send it to you. Once you update your FW to 1.10 we'll go from there. I was having some issues with the 2-tone stuff not working properly until I updated and whala it was fixed.

I sent you a PM, maybe even twice but it doesn't show up in my sent messages so if you didn't get it just let me know here. Thanks again.

bryanknj

VX45X Firmware

Good morning,
I understand one can update the firmware version for the new VX45X radios through just the regular software,
How would I sign up for these updates? Do you have a product number? Do you know how much it costs?
I have numerous VX554 and 459 portables in service, both VHF and UHF.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.