VHF 28.000 mhz to 36.000 mhz Marine Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvranchosbill

I know this is a Tropispheric/Skip question but wanted to throw this question out there.

Lately in late afternoon to early evening i am picking hundreds of Fishing Boats i n the 28.500 mhz to 36.000mhz FM Range speaking what sounds like Tagalog (Malyo Polynesian) Language.

Skip during this time of day is bringing Japan and Hawaii in also.

My question is exactly who?,type of radio? and how do they come to be using these frequencies.
They dont use any Tones (CTCSS) just tone squelch, possible .5khz or 12.5khz increments are being used,Type of radios used etc?.

Ive searched everywhere online and can not find a single article on this fishing network or whatever type of radios, freqs, origin etc, i suspect however they are in the South Pacific Island areas.

Im listening now and searching the entire Vhf Lowband with hundreds of them talking back and forth with engine noise in background and sometimes what sounds like comms from Example:An Echo Chamber,Gas Station Bathroom LOL, a few times you will hear women but the majority is all male.

Last edited:

I wish I could give you a direct answer, but I have a 50's vintage Hallicrafters S-94 Civic Patrol low band receiver that has a round dial frequency display. The top has the frequency info and the bottom is screened with the users of the time. Right around 34 "Megacycles", the bottom of the dial is labeled "SHIPS". Apparently at one time we used this for maritime communication, but I've never seen any equipment specifically for this. Today, much of these frequencies appear to be military here (you probably knew that, but...). I'd be just as curious knowing what kind of equipment these fleets use, and maybe if any old timers know of domestic maritime uses for this frequency range.

Thanks for getting me to hook up my R7000 and Ameco preamp for low band. :D

gvranchosbill

Ive considered that maybe they are using the AN/PRC Series Type U.S.Military Radios (Surplus Vietnam).
They have 1840 Channels on some updated versions of the 920 Channel PRC-77 that seem to be everywhere for a price online, maybe left behind in the Philippines? or nearby Vietnam?,But who knows?
I will keep looking around online.
I think it is an interesting pursuit to find out who,what,where.
Just prior to hearing them today i heard Japan coming in fairly well on 30.290mhz CSQ and sounded like fishing vessels although i dont speak Japanese.
Im going to look at radios online from some other countrys for sale and see what i find, if possible.

joen7xxx

They could very possibly be using Amateur equipment that has been unlocked to operate out of band. 10 meters and the other upper bands have been wide open worldwide for the past few weeks.

prcguy

Probably not mil type radios, they would have 25KHz channel spacing and a loud (3KHz dev) 150Hz tone on transmit.

Our local fishing fleet in the Los Angeles harbor has been known to illegally use just about everything from VHF lo band through 900MHz and I've personally seen VHF frequency hopping radios in use.

I have an old Icom 275H 100w 2m radio that came off a fishing boat that used it in the mid 130MHz range.
prcguy

Ive considered that maybe they are using the AN/PRC Series Type U.S.Military Radios (Surplus Vietnam).
They have 1840 Channels on some updated versions of the 920 Channel PRC-77 that seem to be everywhere for a price online, maybe left behind in the Philippines? or nearby Vietnam?,But who knows?
I will keep looking around online.
I think it is an interesting pursuit to find out who,what,where.
Just prior to hearing them today i heard Japan coming in fairly well on 30.290mhz CSQ and sounded like fishing vessels although i dont speak Japanese.
Im going to look at radios online from some other countrys for sale and see what i find, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.