• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VHF/800 & UHF Diplexer

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to find a diplexer solution to upgrade my main radio. Currently I have a VHF Motorola XTL5000 (Main Radio) and a UHF Motorola XPR5550 with coax going to a VHF/UHF diplexer feeding a 1/4wave dual band antenna. I have upgraded to a VHF/700/800MHz Harris XG-100M. With the XG-100m sharing the same coax connection for VHF & up, is anyone familiar with a way to properly separate the bands without having to install another antenna?

kf8yk

To keep a single antenna for the Harris (VHF & 7/800) and the UHF XPR this might work:

Install a tri band antenna like the Larsen or E/M Wave.

Break out all the bands with a triplexer like the Motorola triplexer: High power or Low power or Panorama Antenna triplexer: TPX

Use your existing VHF/UHF duplexer backwards to split the Harris antenna port into two. Connect the duplexer VHF port to the triplexer VHF port, connect the duplexer UHF to the 7/800 port on the triplexer. Remember on most of these two port duplexers the UHF port is just a high pass filter with about a 300 MHz cutoff, they typically pass 7/800 almost as well as UHF. Sweep it to be sure your duplexer will work.

Connect the triplexer UHF port to the XPR.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I also run a Harris XG-100M and agree on using a triband commercial antenna and there are many to choose from. I've been testing the cheapest of the bunch for the last year and I'm impressed, the performance and weather wear is on par with more expensive types like the Larsen tri band but this Tram only costs about $30.

Or here is a freakishly good deal from Canada eh? A $200 retail PCTEL/Motorola multi band antenna for about $19 new surplus.

Too late for this one but I just bought another $200 retail Laird/Harris multi band for $20, the deals are out here.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Is the Harris replacing any radio or will there be three radios? Either way I would install another mount and dedicate a multi band antenna to the harris then run a single band if just one old radio is used or run the dual band and duplexer to feed both mono band radios.