VHF Air Blade Indoor Antenna from DPD Productions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've been curious about the VHF Air Blade Indoor Antenna from DPD Productions. I'm running out of space for antennas inside my home and decided to give one a try. I know it's not created by aliens :alien: and like you I figured it's just a piece of coax in a plastic cable molding strip. I came out and asked Dave if that's all it is but he said no, but declined to elaborate on the details for obvious reasons, too many people counterfit his designs. I've only had it a few days. I hung it up in the corner of my office and so far I'm very satisfied with the results. My wife even like the appearance compared to some of the weird antennas I've had over the years. It's looks nice, it's out of the way and it works!

VHF Air Blade Indoor Antenna

Attachments

• 1600275465715.png
    1600275465715.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 53

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I wish they made one for UHF mil-air.

It turns out that they make custom antennas, so I am going to commission one for mil air.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I wish they made one for UHF mil-air.

It turns out that they make custom antennas, so I am going to commission one for mil air.

Yes that would be great! I asked Dave why he doesn't offer a dual-band version and he said it's almost impossible to design one that would work well. But a separate one should be doable. With the increase interest in Mil-Air I thionk he should consider this.

I have used one of his MilTenna Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna and it worked great but it's a little big and combersome inside my home office, even though I have a 12 ft peak in the ceiling.

Next summer I'm going to pay a fireman buddy of mine to finally put a few antennas on the roof! But for now, what I'm using seems to be working fine. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But it you have restrictions due to health issues or HOA's, etc. The VHF Air Blade could be a solution for many people!

NOTE: Be careful not to order the wrong one. He also offers two other versions for ADS-B.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Do you have any outdoor antennas to compare? Looks interesting. Being dedicated air band, would a fm filter still be needed in high fm areas?

Not at the moment I do not. I'm certain an outdoor antenna would likely perform better with regards to range especially if it was mounted higher. This indoor blade antenna is intended to be an indoor alternative when and outdoor antenna is not possible. It isn't meant to compete with outdoor antennas.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks iMonitor. I have a Yaesu FTM 100d I use for air band. If this antenna works good indoors, could use my R30 on my outside discone for other areas to scan while the yaesu can scan the air bands.
BTW, any chance you could put this horizontal to see if there is a difference? Just curious.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Looks like a J-pole made from 300ohm TV ribbon inside a bit of pipe to me.....

Oh, here's a pic of my 2m J-pole......

Attachments

• Slim Jim sml.jpg
    Slim Jim sml.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.