VHF antenna on UHF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2JDS

I've done it, Not too bad at all. I have done both 1/4 wave as well as a 5/8 wave VHF mounted on hood/fender clamp on, picking up all the way into the 800's with very unexpected results on my vehicle. I have not done base ops with it though. When I say very good, I mean like picking up 700/800 trunked systems at least 30 miles away with approx same heights, some hills, no mountains. The 5/8 wave does the better though, and 1/4 wave was only good for maybe 20-25 miles. And this was fed into a Pro-96.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
They work ok. The vertical pattern get's some lobes and nulls when operated at the third harmonic, but they can be quite usable. This really only applies to a quarter wave hole mount, or maybe a mag mount where there is no matching network required.

Last edited:

BonziBuddy

I've been using my cars radio AM/FM antenna as a scanner antenna for years now. It's attached with a coupler I bought off eBay. All signals comes in strong.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How well will a VHF 1/4 wave antenna work on UHF?

You can receive off of a coat hanger if you wish,but transmitting is a different matter altogether,so what do you mean by "work on uhf"?
n9zas

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Ask

You can receive off of a coat hanger if you wish,but transmitting is a different matter altogether,so what do you mean by "work on uhf"?
n9zas

I was going to ask about that very issue...lol Thought I would read responses first! I was going to ask work for what? A scanner? A Transmitter?

KC9LVX

ke4wkp

I built a vertical bazooka for 155mhz mounted on the eve of my house it is maybe 15' to the tip of the antenna. I was pleasantly surprised how well it works in the 154-155mhz and 453-460mhz range. That is where I do most of my monitoring. I can now pickup all of the county sheriff and fire dispatch frequencies (Full Quieting) for my county. A 1/4wave vertical will work just as well. I chose the vertical bazooka because it is more compact, requires no ground plane radials and is real easy to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.