Vhf hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I live in a rural area and have a lot of local and distant PD, FD frequencies to monitor in the 153 to 160MHz range
My question is does the Uniden SDS-100 do a good job with distant signals in this range ? compared to other scanners or is there something else that works better? I'm using an outdoor comercial grade 150 to 160MHz antenna 5.5 db gain

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Side by Side with all parameters equal my BCT15x receives much better than my SDS200 on VHF Air, Mil Air, Mil/Fed Ground VHF-UHF, and local UHF. I use my SDS200 for 800-900mhz Trunking ONLY (Simulcast) and my BCT15x for Conventional. My BCD996P2's I use for 800-900mhz trunking non-simulcast systems and have not tried conventional on those up against the SDS200.

marksmith

I would agree. If you are not monitoring digital traffic, the 15x would do better than the sds radios.

If some are digital but still in those frequency ranges, the 996p2 would do better than the sds radios.

The SDS radios are exceptional with digital trunking systems in 700-800mz and especially if they are simulcast.

They are not standouts in the VHF bands.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
Fortunately the only local trunk site that is 800MHz is not simulcast and my TRX-1 does fine with this but just ok on Vhf hi. However..and i forgot to mention that there are a few of the frequencies in the 153 to 160MHz range that are digital, some are not.
So the 996 p2 is a good choice ? This is a hand held unit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.