VHF-lo monitoring in GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayvelcoro

While organizing and updating my frequency lists, I noticed that I do not monitor a single VHF-lo frequency at all. Are there any 30-50 Mhz signals that I'm overlooking? I scan the metro Atlanta area mainly and visit central South Carolina from time-to -time.

RFI-EMI-GUY

VHF-LO Itinerant frequencies .

27.49 Base or Mobile 10.

35.04 Base or Mobile 10.

43.04 Base or mobile 17.

(10) This frequency will be assigned only to stations used in itinerant operations, except within 56 km (35 miles) of Detroit, Mich., where it may be assigned for either itinerant or permanent area operations (i.e., general use).

(17) This frequency will be assigned only to stations used in itinerant operations.operations (i.e., general use).

Also

46.850 FM Military SAR Frequency

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
If you use ULS Search, it will turn up over 200 licenses for low band (30 to 50 Mhz) in Georgia. I am not sure how many are still in use.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I remember years ago, the Ga. EMA (I think it was) would do a weather thing on 45.56 (I think?) and it could be heard 80 - 100 + miles out from it's base in atlanta.

This was early 90's.

I haven't had a good hit on low band (aside from CB stuff) in years. 42.020 was a good one back in the day.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Anyone have a list with the active frequencies for Army helipcopters? Yes, I have scanned the 30-48 frequencies and never heard anything.

p1879

Try for Ft Hood TX with range control on 30.50; local dusk/sunset time in Ga. will frequently provide a short window there. The excellent mil low band loggings found in RR can put you on to some action. Get a used scanner cheap, make a low-vhf dipole or use a cb vertical, and let about 100 of those mil logging frequencies run and on some days you should have results. If you had a BC-780 you can chain together a bunch of search banks with the "normal" --there are exceptions-- mil low band ranges, about 5 common ones if i remember, like 40-42 mhz, for example. Some real cheap handhelds once had the search multiple frequency-bands option, a Bearcat 30 Channel HH I once had excelled at that.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Have you been following this thread?

p1879

Glad we got to re-visit those cool lowband vhf logs. Looking over them confirms an error I made: 30.50 mhz is Ft Sill, and the mega-signal from Ft Hood is on 30.450. Their training schedule and range use could be modified right now, so they may be sporadically active. There is a lot of helo traffic on low band; lets hope the use will hold up as we enter a period of more favorable reception....eventually.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Do you guys and ladies use a pre amplifer when listening to the low band frequencies in a different state?

p1879

I never did but had 9913 coax and a high antenna when i was more active at lowband dx. When conditions are good, a handheld with an extendable whip can do wonders if you are on/near water somewhere and away from noise.. Few multiband scanner antennas do much on low vhf. Even the old favorite scantenna or CM 5094 models cant compare with 10/11 m vertical, fan dipole, etc. where elements are long enough to capture some signal under weak conditions. There are some people here who can also comment on mil-surplus antennas, of interest to many of us.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I never did but had 9913 coax and a high antenna when i was more active at lowband dx. When conditions are good, a handheld with an extendable whip can do wonders if you are on/near water somewhere and away from noise.. Few multiband scanner antennas do much on low vhf. Even the old favorite scantenna or CM 5094 models cant compare with 10/11 m vertical, fan dipole, etc. where elements are long enough to capture some signal under weak conditions. There are some people here who can also comment on mil-surplus antennas, of interest to many of us.

I have a DPD Productions Omni X VHF/UHF Military antenna which does pretty well on VHF and UHF just haven't had any luck on the low band for the Military.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
I also have one mounted about 30ft high have monitored range control,military air units and ground units off Fort Bragg and when everything is lined up some Skip. We hardly have any local stuff left on low band here except DOT which is not monitored very often

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
At times my Copper J-Pole works better than the DPD Productions Omni (much better on vhf/uhf) than the omni

Status
Not open for further replies.