VHF-Lo

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_19

Is the VHF-Lo band dead or alive?

I know the Red Cross has some licenses for this band but their frequencies are always dead.

Also does anybody know of any good base antennas for this band?

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I think the Red Cross only uses them in emergencies but then again I have seen them use radios provided to them by EMA offficials during emergencies.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
A discone should work fairly well on VHF Low. They cover 25-1300 Mhz generally, and are fairly flat across most of that range. They use a whip above the discone for the VHF low band, so look for one with the whip above the disc.

GTO_04

Is the VHF-Lo band dead or alive?

I know the Red Cross has some licenses for this band but their frequencies are always dead.

Also does anybody know of any good base antennas for this band?

Not sure about northern Indiana, but VHF-Lo is pretty much dead in Central Indiana. I would not spend a lot of money on a base antenna just to listen to this band in these parts.

GTO_04

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
VHF Low Band is still in use for some businesses, restaurant drive thrus, intercom type systems, some military ops, and for CB/HAM radio in IN. Any Public Safety VHF Low Band you may hear in IN, will be skip/ducting from CA, or maybe NC. Or maybe MO, at least until the MOSWIN is completed.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that while looking through our states list...McDonalds has lots of low band licenses. Just what I need on my scanner..."Would you like fries with that?"

I remember when we shared a house with a vets office in the basement. They used low band. The transmitter had to have 200 tubes in it. Had a big old folded dipole ground plane on a 40' tower. It got out though. Still remember the call sign...KFF248 base to mobile 1 :)

W9NES

Wow, That is a lot of vhf low band licenses in Indiana that are STILL active. Indiana State Police and Indianapolis Power and light have moved to 800Mhz trunking.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
IP&L is renewing their conventional 800 MHz repeaters also, just FYI. :)

david1941

VHF LOW BAND DX nothing in Kentucky this month

Hello,
Listening for DX on 30.180 mhz, 30.62 mhz, 31.20 mhz the whole band has been very quite in Kentucky..

Status
Not open for further replies.