vhf low red cross freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9cra

Does the red cross still use the low band frequencies. If so, I'm thinking on days when six meters opens, if it opens during this Irene mess, I will try to receive some propagation, and that seems like something to listen for.

SCPD

QRT
I'll say yes

Does the red cross still use the low band frequencies. If so, I'm thinking on days when six meters opens, if it opens during this Irene mess, I will try to receive some propagation, and that seems like something to listen for.

We have a Red Cross facility here in town, and I have seen new vehicles with shiny new whips on them. I have no idea what freqs are in use, never really tried to monitor them. I'm figuring they would not be putting new LB antennas on new vehicles if they are not using the band. Hope that helps. Maybe I'll plug in the freqs mentioned here and see what I hear.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yes, they do. My local radio club helped the local chapter with installation of 47.42 MHz radios, into the various vehicles they have. In the mean time, some operations have moved over to the statewide trunking radio system. (For our chapter only.)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Heartland red cross here in town has low band whips on their ERVs but I've never heard them on 47.420 or 47.500 yet.

n9zas

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The low band frequencies are usually used for disasters and not daily operations, (unless they are the only radios available). Central Ohio ARC operates on the Franklin County Public Safety trunked system for daily and event operations, with the capability to operate on the statewide MARCS system.

Every ARC emergency response vehicle should be equipped with a low band radio. Therefore If a vehicle from, say Ohio, gets deployed to Oklahoma, they all would be able to communicate. This is the reason for no PL's. It is basically a nationwide/local inter-op system.

gewecke

Banned
This is an OLD thread but does anyone in the midwest have any updates to this question? Frequencies or pl's?

Thanks,
n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Nothing has changed. You will never see PLs on these low band frequencies due to interop issues.

Check your local and statewide systems for ARC operations.

Well it's interesting that for being on vhf low, very little traffic is ever mentioned? I checked with a ARC member here locally, and she said they are in the trucks but didn't "work" the last she knew?

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
They are only used for interop during major disasters. They may go for years without being used.

GREAT....we may not have a major disaster for years, right?

Anyone have any low band ARC reports here from Illinois?

n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Can't say anything about Illinois, but I am aware of new installations of low band stations in the southwest U.S. Same old frequencies. Don't expect to hear much on them, unless they actually need them.

gewecke

Banned
Can't say anything about Illinois, but I am aware of new installations of low band stations in the southwest U.S. Same old frequencies. Don't expect to hear much on them, unless they actually need them.

If those chapters are anything like heartland, then it's indicative they won't all be usable...
A lady for this chapter told me one ERV radio would not turn on, another had a cable with no connector.

n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If those chapters are anything like heartland, then it's indicative they won't all be usable...
A lady for this chapter told me one ERV radio would not turn on, another had a cable with no connector.

The ARC people out here have their heads screwed on straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.