VHF Public Safety frequencies

Skyd

Hey all - I wasn't sure where to put this. I've just spent 45 minutes searching the RR wiki as well as just general Google searching. I'm getting frustrated because I KNOW i've seen this before.

What I'm looking for is literally just a list of the frequencies available for use in the VHF High public safety band. 150-174MHz. Or maybe there's a better way to accomplish what I'm looking for so I'm open to suggestions. Basically what I was hoping for was to be able to look at the list and see what frequencies were valid.

Let me give you an example - I had done a search on my Uniden and got a hit on 155.8250. It had a strong signal but sounded kinda crappy and also seemed like I was getting 2 very different departments. Well come to find out, that's not a valid frequency and once I went up to 155.8275, crystal clear and only the one station came in.

I couldn't even find in the wiki a for sure answer on when the spacing is for that band. 12.5kHz? 7.5kHz?

Anyway, if anyone knows where I can find that information that's much appreciated. Also maybe I'm not searching the wiki properly but I wasn't getting anything close to what I was looking for in the search results.

ecps92

Hey all - I wasn't sure where to put this. I've just spent 45 minutes searching the RR wiki as well as just general Google searching. I'm getting frustrated because I KNOW i've seen this before.

What I'm looking for is literally just a list of the frequencies available for use in the VHF High public safety band. 150-174MHz. Or maybe there's a better way to accomplish what I'm looking for so I'm open to suggestions. Basically what I was hoping for was to be able to look at the list and see what frequencies were valid.

Let me give you an example - I had done a search on my Uniden and got a hit on 155.8250. It had a strong signal but sounded kinda crappy and also seemed like I was getting 2 very different departments. Well come to find out, that's not a valid frequency and once I went up to 155.8275, crystal clear and only the one station came in.

I couldn't even find in the wiki a for sure answer on when the spacing is for that band. 12.5kHz? 7.5kHz?

Anyway, if anyone knows where I can find that information that's much appreciated. Also maybe I'm not searching the wiki properly but I wasn't getting anything close to what I was looking for in the search results.
Everything due to limited frequencies is shared now.
What is/was Police or Fire only could be the DPW, and Ambulance Company or some even a Business

The above is a link to the FCC channel plan for VHF High

The above is a link to the FCC Allocation Plan for who/what can get that frequency, scroll down to the
Public Safety Pool Frequency Table listings

If you have an OLE Radio Shack Police Call the old stuff in the back is nice for historical references

Skyd

Aha - Thanks guys. That FCC VHF High Band is the exact thing I was looking for. Guess I saw it on SNE, I looked there real quick but didn't see it.

Ya I know the frequencies are shared as well, just lots of stuff seems to refer to that section of frequencies as Public safety still.

Thanks again - I was about to rage quit the interwebs

DeeEx

Before the internet, the back of the annual Police Call broke down the allocations in detail. The nerd in me memorized a shocking quantity of those :cool:

Although not entirely up to date, I’d find a copy of Police Call at least to have handy in the shack.

Reactions: wtp

ecps92

Aha - Thanks guys. That FCC VHF High Band is the exact thing I was looking for. Guess I saw it on SNE, I looked there real quick but didn't see it.

Ya I know the frequencies are shared as well, just lots of stuff seems to refer to that section of frequencies as Public safety still.

Thanks again - I was about to rage quit the interwebs
If you are searching out, some Non Reported stuff, just use the Search features of your radios, most of the radios follow the FCC Band Plan, also you could spend hours on the FCC using a range of Frequencies and putting in your County and the Neighbors

enter 150.8000 and end at 162.0000, then select the County
Also at the bottom of that page is
Format output for raw data export.
where you can select to export to XLS or a Database and then do your logging/sluthing from that list

Skyd

If you are searching out, some Non Reported stuff, just use the Search features of your radios, most of the radios follow the FCC Band Plan, also you could spend hours on the FCC using a range of Frequencies and putting in your County and the Neighbors

enter 150.8000 and end at 162.0000, then select the County
Also at the bottom of that page is
Format output for raw data export.
where you can select to export to XLS or a Database and then do your logging/sluthing from that list

Interestingly enough that's exactly where I got the frequency from, using a search. I have about 3 or 4 that I found that do not fall within the proper steps, and when I moved them they came in much better. I know I can set that somewhere so I need to check that out. I used my Uniden BCD996P2

ecps92

Interestingly enough that's exactly where I got the frequency from, using a search. I have about 3 or 4 that I found that do not fall within the proper steps, and when I moved them they came in much better. I know I can set that somewhere so I need to check that out. I used my Uniden BCD996P2
Which ones, do not fall in the proper steps? and do you have an FCC callsign to go with those you have found ?
What make/model as well...

Skyd

Which ones, do not fall in the proper steps? and do you have an FCC callsign to go with those you have found ?
What make/model as well...
The big one I was hearing with a strong signal but was very staticky was 155.8250, which I discovered should be 155.8275 and when I changed it to that it cleared right up. It appears to be Upper Valley Regional Mutual aid but it looks to be licensed under the Town of Hanover - Call sign WQMZ941.

I have no way to know for sure but I'm fairly certain I'm picking up the Moose Mtn antenna for this frequency.

Also the scanner is a BCD996P2

Channel spacing for VHF should be 7.5 kHz. You could change the default to reflect the above.

Ya so that was originally what I was trying to find out so I could just figure it out. Thanks! Also ya I'll have to check the default and change it. The scanner is still pretty new to me and I'm used to GRE/Radioshack menus.