• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Vhf Road Radio For Northwestern Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffy

I work in the oil and gas industry through out Alberta and Northern B.C. Many of the jobs I get called out to require the use of road radio's. Some roads it is required by law to have a radio or else you un-able to travel these roads. I have had a few radios that come pre programmed, but it seems I always end up on a job going into an area with a frequency that I don't have.

My question is this, what radio would be best suited for me?

It would have to have a minimum of 100 channels.

I need to be able to program a few channels if need be.

The best range possible 120 - 180 mhz?????

And please spare me the legalities of programming bla bla bla. I'm familiar with the laws, though I may not agree with them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much

BC_Scan

define best , I don't even know you , having a field programmable radio in Canada (for business band) is a no no, If you get caught , and you could , IC does road blocks with ICBC & MOH and I have seen the list of confiscated radio's , mainly ham radio's modded to go out of band,
100 channels will likely add a premium to the mix, however TAD raidos are a good one to check out, I believe Canadian made (not 100% sure)
the range you would want is 150-174 that is where that spectrum falls into your need
check this out
www.petron.ca/m10.html

Jay911

You're looking for a VHF radio, which will do 136-174 MHz. Any number of devices can do 100 channels or more, most likely in banks of channels at a time (my Motorola radio supports 10 banks of 16 channels = 160 total channels).

Any half-decent radio shop should be able to set you up with a good radio. Kenwood and Motorola, IMO, are the two primary models to go for. If money is no object, you can get some pretty decently bomb-proof Motorola devices.

You may also want to check eBay, if you're willing to use a radio of unknown ancestry (i.e. you don't know where it's come from or how it's been treated). A lot of refurbished or retired radios go through the eBay route.

ruffy

Can you suggest any models in particular that I can add a frequency in the field with out having to go to a shop to do it. I know the guys that sell them have told me some are possible to do and others aren't.

Yup, and the 136 - 174 is perfect. I have an old Tad right now... It's a loaner, as my other one got ripped off. But this thing is a dinosaur with 4 buttons and only 40 channels.

I figured the no no's would come.. But as it states in my post, some of these roads require you to have a radio by law. No radio, no road. Doesn't matter if your delivering a pizza or work there every day. You need a radio.

Thanks again for your help.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
To quote: "And please spare me the legalities of programming bla bla bla. I'm familiar with the laws, though I may not agree with them". Well tough, rules are made to protect things, in this case it could very well be a person's life. This post is very similar to one on another web site about some rich oil worker that thinks he is above other people and the law. Well, not on radios.

I suggest you check with the compaines that you have to travel over their roads. A much more legal and easier alternative would be to contact them by cell phone or sat phone [which I am sure an oil field work or the oil company] can easily afford. Another alternative is to check with Industry Canada, obtain the appropiate licence for the frequencies you need, have someone program these into a Tad, Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu commercial radio and away you go. Just follow the ristrictions on the area a frequency can be used as in other areas it may interfere with EMS/FIRE/RCMP frequencies.

Jay911

It's very rare to find a "front panel programmable" handheld with your specifications. The only one I know of is the long-discontinued Motorola JT1000, which IIRC only has 16 channels.

If you're working well sites, logging roads, etc., there are only about ten frequencies you actually need, anyway; the Logging Common (aka LAD) and roads common channels are pretty much universally used.

I, too, won't support illegally operating on unlicensed bands. If you're working for a company, or in conjunction with them, their telecoms manager can provide you with a letter granting permission to use the appropriate frequencies, and odds are he can get your radio programmed, or get you a line to someone who can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.