VHF Tacticals for Marion County

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone seen the VHF in use in the past year? From what I can tell, it's been removed from all the cars, and ONLY the MESA/SAFE-T is now in use. None of the newer cruisers have anything other than the APX radios installed.

baayers

When I was in Indianapolis back in October, I heard IMPD talking simplex car to car on their VHF frequencies. At the time I heard it there were several cars that were coordinating stops on people that were leaving a known drug house. Considering it was analog and in the clear I was surprised at how openly they were talking about things. It was as if they thought no one could hear what they were saying. Unfortunately, I don’t remember which frequency they were on but it was definitely one of the VHF tac channels.

Since it’s in the same area, I thought I would mention that on Friday night I was watching on patrol live and I noticed that Beech Grove is definitely using their low band to talk simplex car to car.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Update - Finally saw 1 IMPD cruiser with an VHF radio in it, had an Mag Mount antenna for it, and the usual dual shark fin 800's for the APX.