VHF/UHF frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
For the 220 and 300 MHz mil-air frequencies, should I search in both NFM and AM or just NFM? I want to get into more Mi-air monitoring.

SCPD

QRT
MilAir (aircraft) is AM. There are military gound installations and other government agencies using FM.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Ed. Been listening in to regular aircraft for a while, but I'm a noob when it comes to Mil-com.

Thank you again!

scanrfan

VHF/UHF Military Air

Unless something has changed or someone knows different - all Aircraft Frequencies that are used by both Civilian and Military Aircraft are in the AM mode only. The military may use some NFM in Air-to-Ground Tactical communications, but I don't know for sure.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Unless something has changed or someone knows different - all Aircraft Frequencies that are used by both Civilian and Military Aircraft are in the AM mode only. The military may use some NFM in Air-to-Ground Tactical communications, but I don't know for sure.

Thank you. If you all have any more pointers that would be great as well. Thanks for the help!

SCPD

QRT
An interesting point - one day a few years back when POTUS was in the area, I was listening to the CAP planes and heard some distorted conversation on the frequency the aircraft were on. Turns out to be the Secret Service on the ground using FM. Thought that very strange. I wondered if there was some radio that automatically switched from AM to FM.

CalebATC

Some... some frequencies on the E-4B's use USB. I have monitored these, but with the scratch, distorted voice. No worries on this, I have only heard these a handful of times.

380-405 MHz is now rid of all ARTCC comms, and into trunking systems and other ground-ground communitcation. Other than that, the rest is AM.

moonbounce

Don't be so sure, I have heard military air comm's that were not coming in to clear so I switched from AM to NFM only to hear perfect comm's. It is worth checking with NFM just to be sure.

Moonbounce.

CalebATC

There are still 30 FAA assignments 380-400.

BMT

Wow, I thought all of them were gone by now! Thanks for the correction! I think... think... I remember hearing all should be about by 2012, or something.

Yes, there is some FM. Mostly the FM is in the VHF bands especially VHF low, and above the civilian aero band. Almost all the voice with the ICE and CBP is FM up in the VHF high, in the federal band mostly. I personally have yet to see any FM in the UHF on my radios, except the trunking systems... which here are quite strong and popular!

Anyways, great to hear the diversity around the country with the modes!

nd5y

Don't be so sure, I have heard military air comm's that were not coming in to clear so I switched from AM to NFM only to hear perfect comm's. It is worth checking with NFM just to be sure.

Sometimes in a defective AM or SSB transmitter the frequency can vary with modulation along with the amplitude, which is supposed to vary. It is called FM-ing. That is possibly what moonbounce heard.

Last edited:

autovon

Ø
There are still active AM freqs above 380 as already pointed out. One of the AR tracks here is in the 390s as are others around the country. I've heard air to air comms on 139 MHz in FM. Two cargo planes heading across the country. A lot of planes have the ARC-210, which can do AM or FM 30-400 MHz. Switching modes is as simple as a press of a button. Many of the folks that use these radios have minimal training on how to use them, so it is possible to be in the wrong mode in the wrong band.

N8IAA

Yes, there is some FM. Mostly the FM is in the VHF bands especially VHF low, and above the civilian aero band. Almost all the voice with the ICE and CBP is FM up in the VHF high, in the federal band mostly. I personally have yet to see any FM in the UHF on my radios, except the trunking systems... which here are quite strong and popular!

Caleb, how about the sats on FM in the 250-260MHz range?
Larry

moonbounce

Caleb, how about the sats on FM in the 250-260MHz range?
Larry

In my last post I should have stated to be clear that I have heard UHF in the NFM mode. When the communications sounded sort of off, I switched to NFM and the communications were in the clear.

MB

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
this may be note worthy i saw a 225.400 listed as p25 i have always know them to be am nfm fm fmb wfm etc depending on the radio system there using at that time

Status
Not open for further replies.