VHF/UHF in the KC region?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcs00

KCØDAA
Would like a compressive list of VHF and UHF frequencies for anything? So I can fill up an older scanner?
Thanks.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you check the database on this site for what you need? That way you can pick and choose what you want to add to the scanner.

Ensnared

Conventional KC

If I were you, I would strongly consider making that radio dedicated to Skywarn analog frequencies since you are in Tornado alley. There are many frequencies dedicated to this in Missouri. In fact, this state has a fairly extensive list of conventional frequencies for this purpose. Of course, this radio would not provide you with much to listen to in the absence of bad weather, but this is what I use my old analog scanner for these days. I find it extremely exciting to hear Skywarn spotters reporting their field observations to the National Weather service. I am unfamiliar with the various Skywarn frequencies in Kansas. This might necessitate going to the internet for additional frequencies since not all frequencies are listed in the RR DB. Kansas Severe Weather Radio Frequencies - W9TEC.com

Also, you might expand your area of reception to include the various conventional frequencies in Missouri since it is very close in proximity.

Another thing I would do is go through each of the call signs for the various volunteer fire departments, law enforcement, etc., in the immediate area. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you just might find a hidden surveillance channel which is off the radar. Most everyone is looking at digital transmissions. But, police can fool you sometimes when they use VHF/UHF frequencies for eyeballing. If you do find these, they might be simplex. Some LE agencies might use old radios for such. I believe that digital radios are capable of working on analog frequencies even if they are setup for digital. You just never know.

I would make sure to click on the "FCC ULS Listing For This Call Sign" at the bottom of the call sign page in order to see if the license is still active. Sometimes, there might be active frequencies overlooked by everyone else.

I would also exhaust the analog Nationwide frequencies listed in the RR DB to see if some are active in your area. Loading the state, city, & county analog mutual aid channels might also help.

Not all municipalities can afford digital radios. Hence, they have to be patched into the existing radio system there.

As a last resort, I would also run the search function. If you radio stores the frequencies in search, all the better.

You certainly have your work cut out for you.

Last edited:

dcs00

KCØDAA
Thanks for the suggested ideas...will try your suggestions and see what I can find : )

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Anything specific you are looking for? Try searching 450 - 469. There are lots of companies that use radios that are not listed in RR DB. The frequency list on this site is user submitted. I can give you a list of conventional frequencies and tones. There are more than two hundred. I haven't sorted through them to figure what they are. You can listen to the KC Wireless Passport system if you program the system in as if it was conventional channels. Set the delay to 0. The tow truck drivers can be quite entertaining. PM me if you want a list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.