VHF UHF loop antenna of old...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
This is really bugging me. I used a 6 and a 2 mtr loop antenna YEARS ago made by a ham out in CA. He was a former metals guy at an aerospace plant. Anyone remember his name, call or the antenna line?

prcguy

Did the loops have a small closed exciter loop then the larger loop that had a rectangular porcelain insulator in the center? If so I have some buried in the garage and will try to find one. They usually have the guys call stamped on the mounting bracket. Might be a K6 call.

This is really bugging me. I used a 6 and a 2 mtr loop antenna YEARS ago made by a ham out in CA. He was a former metals guy at an aerospace plant. Anyone remember his name, call or the antenna line?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Yes sir they did! He sold a bunch of them out here in DFW once mine got here and on the air! I even talked to him a couple times...
thanks

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Mine says KB6KQ stamped into the mount. Here is a 2m version and I have a couple of 432 loops somewhere. KB6KQ is a SK and the design was sold to another company but I don't find them advertising any longer.

View attachment 103927
That’s it, THANKS! I don’t know what happened to my 6 and 2 mtr loops! Too many years...too many moves,

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
KB6KQ is a SK and the design was sold to another company but I don't find them advertising any longer.
Loopsnmore. Their website is down.

I always heard good things about the KB6KQ loops and was going to buy one or two if I ever got into roving. Neither happened. :(

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
They worked great. Phased a couple of 6 mtr for the shack. Norm Pederson built them by hand. He reigned in antenna shoot outs back then. Not sure when he became a SK but was always helpful on the phone.(pre internet)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
For whomever links into this thread from a search engine crawl, please note that the M2 HO loops work fine on the lower end for the SSB call frequencies (where people are typically using horizontal polarization). The SWR further up makes them unsuitable for use on the FM call frequencies and whatever else up high. I use my M2 HO loops during the VHF/UHF contest and they work as expected. I should note I am usually 3000' to 8000' ASL when I use them. Use a vertical for 6/2/70 for FM.

merlin

I used loops on 1296 for SSTV. Call it a circular folded dipole if you like. They work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.