VHF & UHF Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTV

Hey All,
Is anyone else getting alot of noise on VHF Air & UHF Air?
Sounds like static or electrical noise.At night time it is not as bad.

Jack

LarrySC

VHF and UHF air is AM mode. AM cannot filter out static without some help. Thats why most comms are FM. Now the reason aircraft is am is because they are usually several thousand feet above the manmade static on the ground and it is not an issue. The entire radio spectrum from 30mHz to 1000mHz is staggered with am/fm/wfm with .005, .0625, .075, .0125, .015, .020, .030cellular, .050, and .100 spacing between freqs so that each service will not interfere with each other. This is a simple answer as this subject can get very deep very quick. Good Luck.

TinEar

Without complicating the issue, the answer to your question is...no. At least not in my location Jack. I was having that problem until the weather turned warmer and things then got very quiet. I think it was on the Sticky MilAir thread I mentioned noise during the winter and described it exactly as you did - like electrical noise that was wiping out any weaker transmissions.

aristotle73

Well, if the interference is man-made, you can take steps to remove the interference. Move the receiver away from or unplug the television, wireless routers, and computers (especially computer monitors).

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Another reason why aircraft/ATC tend to like AM is that when two "stations" transmit at the same time, your can usually understand what both have said. It's considered safer, unlike FM, which tends to favor the stronger "station" and blocks the weaker transmission.

CA
Annapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.