VHF vs UHF radios in IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

starsty96

So i own an HT1000 VHF and a HT1250 UHF. and once i started listening to Kendall county fire, and Kane county sheriffs department and stuff like that on VHF, i noticed its a lot harder to pick up. there is a lot more static and cuts in and out a lot. now i was just wondering if maybe that was the antenna i have, or something wrong with the radio... it only happens in certain areas. and im right by kendall county as well. but the Antenna is the regular stock motorola VHF antenna that comes with it. so i don't see how that would be a problem. and my UHF radio i use for listening to Kendall county sheriffs department, and i have no problem receiving transmissions from them at all.

just seems like VHF might be harder to pick up than UHF. Is that possible? or what could be wrong? thanks to anyone who can help.

parnass

AJ9S
I live in Kendall County, too, but I have no experience with the HT-1000.

KenCom uses 2 transmitter sites which transmit the same signal at the same time. That causes reception problems at my home when using my 10+ year old Radio Shack PRO-2067s with the CTCSS decoder enabled.

The signals don't always reach my location in the same phase at the same time. That can be caused by propagation conditions, aircraft flying overhead, etc. The phase difference causes a "falsing" of the CTCSS decoders in my PRO-2067s.

My Uniden BCT15X and BC346XT aren't as stringent so the signals don't usually drop out of them.

What happens with all my scanners is that a type of "growling" noise can often be heard during Kencom transmissions.

The conditions I described above happen both on UHF (sheriff) and VHF (fire), but are location dependent.

Status
Not open for further replies.