VHF vs. UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
Hello I have not been into scanning that long but I just got an external antenna and it seems that I can hear far away stations on the VHF band but it doesn't seem to get as far away stations on the UHF band. Do VHF waves travel longer distances than UHF?

Thanks

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
You didn't mention what band the antenna was tuned for, that makes a big difference.
It would be the 137 to 143 band. Why does that matter? The lower the band the further it will reach?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Antenna tuning has the greatest affect on transmitting but also plays a part in receiving. Your antenna is in the VHF band which means it is designed to pick up those frequencies best. A dual band antenna is usually designed to handle both VHF and UHF. The distance from the transmitter, buildings, weather, trees, atmoshperic conditions and other objects can cause radio signals to change in signal strength or be reflected. Antenna height will also be a factor.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Hello I have not been into scanning that long but I just got an external antenna and it seems that I can hear far away stations on the VHF band but it doesn't seem to get as far away stations on the UHF band. Do VHF waves travel longer distances than UHF?

Thanks

Without specifying the path (through just air, space, trees, walls, buildings...). the antennas, and the power, the general answer is definitely "NO". If just through atmosphere, generally, there is more loss at UHF than VHF, but the other things are the dominating factors-both VHF and UHF can easily reach satellites many thousands of miles away when the other factors are removed.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
all things being equal, generally yes. could be your antenna is not designed for UHF.

rapidcharger

Thanks

The lower frequencies conform to terrain better and usually that means those signals will travel farther but not always. There are some other variables such as interference and the specs of the stations you're trying to receive. UHF, or the "mall security band" as some call it are often low power in-house repeaters for in building portable radios rather than wide area repeaters used on VHF for mobile operation. I've done testing with this andwhen there is a hill in the way of the transmitting station, when they transmit of VHF low band vs, VHF high and UHF their signal becomes less readable the higher you go. But in open space I can work repeaters that are 60 miles away on 1 watt with a rubber duck antenna. The claims on the FRS radio packaging isn't completely wrong.
UHF also tends to do better in concrete jungles than VHF. I don't have x-ray vision but I do believe that it bounces off the concrete which is why I can use a portable in my basement and get into UHF repeaters 50+ miles away but on VHF I'm lucky to get into a repeater a half mile away from my basement.
All in all, I get better in building penetration on UHF than VHF and typically less interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.