Via Rail/CN Pull Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Just heard VIA #2 in Contact with CN YB Distatcher in Toronto saying that they are 2 pull lengths from car on Tracks...How far is this...

Also hear reference to calling the VIA engine on its cell phone...1-514... engine number...

Any idea on this?

JESSERABBIT

May be a quaint term for "car lengths". Norfolk Southern does minor switching duties on a small industrial siding near my house. When backing up, the brakeman says "three more cars, two more cars. etc. to let the head end know about when to apply the brakes.

MichiganPig

yea that's all that means. 3 car lengths is....3 box cars, 3 tankers etc.

As far as the 514 number....I believe that is for CN's Monteral Headquarters area code for all their phone numbers. That could be the only possible idea I have.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Further listening and searching leads me to beleive a pull/car length is the number 0f 50' "standard car " lenghts.

BigC801

Have you ever heard "ONE LONG or ONE AUTORACK" when they say that there talking about either one and a half cars any were from 75 to 90 ft give or take, realy just depends on the conductor and how he likes to talk. I use it all the time, and u might hear "ONE BIG ONE" same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.