• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vibrating during radio traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
While monitoring a call, which had moved onto a fireground TG, my G4 would vibrate whenever someone transmitted on that TG.

There is only one zone in the unit, and that knob position is set for tone & vibrate, whereas the position I use the most is tone only. But the unit does not alert on any other radio traffic, so I am surprised by the vibration.

Am I misunderstanding something in the programming?

Sent via Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Sounds like a programming issue on your part. Make sure that knob position is set to silent and you shouldn't get the vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a programming issue on your part. Make sure that knob position is set to silent and you shouldn't get the vibration.

I still want the pager to alert, when any of the four PageGroups come across. Those four are at the top of the priority list, as they are on the knob position I primarily utilize. That is why I wonder if there is a difference in how the vibrate is processed.

Sent via Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Maybe I misunderstood. So it's vibrating on both tone and voice? And you want it to vibrate on just a tone alert?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When it alerts, I want tone and vibrate. However, I only want it to alert on the PageGroups in that knob position. Most of the knob positions have more TG than just the PageGroups in them.

This was the first time I had used that knob position, so I had not noticed the behavior before. (My department has not made our transition to digital paging, yet. I am the main test subject, for my department.)

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Ok. Are the page groups on the trunked system, conventional analog or P25 digital ? The reason why I'm asking is Unication does not decode tones on a trunked talkgroup...it alerts for any activity on that talkgroup itself. In other words, Department A would have its own talkgroup for tone outs. The pager will alert when it hears any activity on that talkgroup. Department B would have to be on a different talkgroup just for them. Not like an APX where you can have numerous tone sets on different Hz going over the same talkgroup and it only opening when the correct tone set it heard.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Are the page groups on the trunked system, conventional analog or P25 digital ?

PageGroups are what MPSCS calls TG that are just for paging. They are automatically routed to programmed towers, due to lack of affiliated radios. In most cases, the dispatch is multi-selected on the PageGroup and that agency's primary working TG.

Sent via Tapatalk

tdeater

Just a thougt, on the fireground TG in the group id setting tab in the software, make sure the alert tone is set to none. My thought is that if you have a tone set there, then it will indicate to the software that this is a page group and to treat it as such. I am not finding a place where you can specify a specific talk group to be vibrate or audible, that is set by the knob position settings.

I have run into that myself where I forgot to set that to none when I added a TG to monitor.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Just a thougt, on the fireground TG in the group id setting tab in the software, make sure the alert tone is set to none. My thought is that if you have a tone set there, then it will indicate to the software that this is a page group and to treat it as such. I am not finding a place where you can specify a specific talk group to be vibrate or audible, that is set by the knob position settings.

I have run into that myself where I forgot to set that to none when I added a TG to monitor.
The audio alert was set to none. None of my pagegroups were transmitting, so I could not compare. (I have my department's pagegroups in my handheld, but did not test those.)

I just experimented with two changes in programming:
1) Changed another knob position to tone & vibrate.
2) Changed the original affected knob position to tone only.

Change one resulted in the pager vibrating for any traffic on the TG in that knob position.

Change two resulted in vibration cessation, during traffic on one of the previously affected TG.

This leads to my concluding that the pager is alerting, for any traffic received. Obviously, this is not acceptable when we want to monitor some TG, want to only have alerts for our pagegroups, and want vibrate as an option for alerts. This would seem to need a change in firmware, allowing granular control, whether a TG alerts or not. (With the knob position determining the type(s) of alert.)

Sent via Tapatalk

Edited for a typo

Status
Not open for further replies.