Victoria, B.C. - Police radios may get Games upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
"The report identifies two alternatives for providing adequate radio coverage for Victoria police: Construct a new 700-MHz radio network to be operated by CREST, OR CONTRACT WITH AN EXISTING 800-MHz system operator."

That is a scary statement, when put together with the photo of the police officer holding an iDEN handset in the photo, it may or may not imply that the city of Victoria may thinking of contracting comms to Telus. Sad part about it is that this CREST network has been nothing but problems from the word go in Victoria.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If they want to trade stability for fancy. OK then...

It is a mixed mode Vhf Motorola type II Smartzone system, the problem is, and has always been, in building coverage in Victoria. Which is not suprising.

Switching to 700Mhz may work to improve in building coverage in Victoria, but they will need a whole lot more sites to provide the rural coverage that CREST now provides.

(EDIT)
I just reread the article, and i have to laugh that the consultant company hired by CREST to survey system coverage in Victoria and Esquimalt. concluded that the system provided 98% coverage in 22 selected buildings in the two cities. Yet Police have complained about coverage in both cities simce the system was put in place. Yet when this second consultant was hired to do coverage testing found that 30 buildings in Victoria and Esquimalt had little to no coverage. I wish the article said who paid for the secone coverage survey!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.