Video Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pendarvis69

Premium Subscriber
Where can I find general information about video scanning? I'm in Los Angeles so I would think that it would be as good of a place as any for video scanning... but what's the general quantity and quality.. and type of transmissions one would recieve with such a device?
Some good basic newbie info would be great! I'm trying to determine if it's something I'd want to explore.
Thanks!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Where can I find general information about video scanning? I'm in Los Angeles so I would think that it would be as good of a place as any for video scanning... but what's the general quantity and quality.. and type of transmissions one would recieve with such a device?
Some good basic newbie info would be great! I'm trying to determine if it's something I'd want to explore.
Thanks!

Look on eBay. They will cost you about $600.

What are you looking for peoples home wireless security cameras?

I don't see a problem with it. If people are too stupid to know what they buy and install in their homes, they have no one to blame but themselves. Same thing with the old cordless phones and unsecured wireless access points.

If you don't want anyone to see and/or hear you inside your home, don't broadcast it in the clear. Use a wired solution and then you won't have anything to worry or complain about.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Pendarvis69

Premium Subscriber
What are you looking for peoples home wireless security cameras?

That's exactly what I'm asking: What types of signals does one pick up? And how often? I mean- is it rare to come across a signal or are they everywhere?

But to specifically answer your question... I'm curious if local television production signals, traffic helicopters, traffic cameras, movie and tv production, etc would be viewable.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
That's exactly what I'm asking: What types of signals does one pick up? And how often? I mean- is it rare to come across a signal or are they everywhere?

But to specifically answer your question... I'm curious if local television production signals, traffic helicopters, traffic cameras, movie and tv production, etc would be viewable.

You'll need another device than I was suggesting. Look at some discontinued AOR and Icom wideband receivers that do video too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

pathalogical

From reading around these RR forums, this type of scanning has been discussed. Whatever you want to scan, you generally have to be close to the transmitting source. These are low power transmiters. So, if your neighbour has a wireless vid cam overlooking his driveway, you can spend countless hours watching your vid scanner to see when they arrive home, or to save battery power, you can look out the window. LOL. You're not gonna see cams from across town.

As for the news choppers, I'm pretty sure they are many steps ahead of simple vid capturing. Most likely they are using microwave link/freqs to relay back to their newsroom. They don't want someone tapping into their feed and beating them to the breaking news story !

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
here are a few that might work for you.

Icom R3, Icom IC-R3 Wideband Scanner Receiver
AOR AR-STV wireless video receiver
wireless video scanner | eBay
Bug Detector Camera Hunter Scanner Finds Wireless Hidden Spy Cameras Detects RF | eBay

I like this one. It has the widest bandwidth (minus 5.8GHz but does go to 2.9GHz while a lot of the others don't). WIRELESS CAMERA HUNTER/SCANNER DVR WCH-300X, PRO Grade | eBay

I don't have any so I can't really suggest any. I would think the Icom or the AOR would be better quality, but I really don't know. Sometimes the name just means a higher $$.

EDIT: This one looks like it has the best one so far minus the DVR features:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Ca...017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c606ec479

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Mike I just wanted to get the right info from the question that was ask and yes I love it when Do It Yourselfers take on wireless home video. Thats why I am State Licensed as a security dealer in my off time.

Status
Not open for further replies.