Videos of P25RX

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
FYI, the G4/5 are now at FW 1.31 and a hold feature is available. As well as Blocking similar to nuisance delete on motorola radios.
Its a feature i am loving. It allows me to have a depts all fire dept channels and if they are kicked out on a structure fire i can hold on the fireground TG.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
While I love my G5, it cannot be reprogrammed very easily on the fly, nor can it sit on one channel, such as if we only want to hear DEMHS InterOp, or DEEP HazMat, and no one else.

The latest official 1.31 firmware version for the Gx series does allow holding on a talkgroup. It has a screen indicator popup on the display showing you which button to hit to hold on the talkgroup.
I think it also has a talkgroup skip function as well that pops up on the display. The skip function is temporary and the skipped talkgroup is monitored again after a power off/on event.
The Hold feature may work for your DEMHS Interop or DEEP HazMat talkgroup needs.
Visit Unication's page and look for the firmware under the downloads section. It makes you input your serial number first I'm pretty sure before it gives you a download link. It may also ask for your email and that's how they deliver the 1.31 firmware link or file to you. I really don't remember for that part.
Also get the latest PPS version to go with firmware 1.31.
The newest PPS version can be downloaded instantly by anyone from the same G series download page.
The new talkgroup hold and skip functions are not just part of the Freescan Beta program they run although those features are also available in the freescan beta firmware. These functions are available in the official release version of firmware since the version before 1.31 I believe.

Edit: Sorry, I see @IAmSixNine posted the same info as I posted while I was composing my reply offline!

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
While Unication G4/G5 Firmware update may have that feature now, and I'll look at it, the cost of the G4/G5 is still double that of the P25RX, and doesn't have the flexibility to adjust it on the fly, without the PPS and someone knowing how to make the changes on the fly.

Cost is very much a factor, as the budget for being able to monitor the state system is literally $0. So I am exploring options that will let me do what I need to get done with no budget. The G4 is $650, the G5 is $700. The P25RX is less than half the cost of either of these. It is less than half the cost of the SDS100.

Would we like the Harris XL200s? Of course we would, that would make this all so much easier, but we're not funded for them, so I am looking for a tool to adapt and overcome the issues in the way. One obstacle is a lack of budget.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Great discussion of a new tool for us! I was very excited until I read no P25 conventional! Our state patrol uses VHF P25 and has setup a great statewide system but non-trunking!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
While Unication G4/G5 Firmware update may have that feature now, and I'll look at it, the cost of the G4/G5 is still double that of the P25RX, and doesn't have the flexibility to adjust it on the fly, without the PPS and someone knowing how to make the changes on the fly.
You do not need PPS to do a talkgroup hold or ignore on your G5. Once upgraded to the latest firmware, those features display on your G5 screen right above the button you press to enable/disable them.

As far as cost goes, I wasn't factoring in that you were wanting something additional that the department would own rather than you using your own personal G5. I totally understand that!

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
You do not need PPS to do a talkgroup hold or ignore on your G5. Once upgraded to the latest firmware, those features display on your G5 screen right above the button you press to enable/disable them.

I just realized my G5 has the "Hold" button as the TG us talking. I thought you were referencing something else I was not aware of ... it is there. I like my G5, I like my XG-100 ... but I have them as I do a number of things outside of my primary department, and in my role within the department I need information and lots of it. So I have ended up with the tools I need, but they are my tools, which I use for my department rather than tools which belong to my department.

Maybe one of these days one of the radio grants will finally come through and we can slowly enter the 21st century in terms of communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.