Vintage Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjlamb

Has a forum specific to vintage scanners ever been considered or requested? I'm referring to a section specific to the equipment from the past that has evolved over the years to get us to the State of the Art that we are now at in the hobby of monitoring: equipment used, collecting, repair and restoration, etc

Attachments

• Svera DS-3300.jpg
    Svera DS-3300.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,078

Eng74

Glenn at Scanners Unlimited had a great collection of vintage scanners at his old shop. Hard to belive it has been 2 years since he closed.

elrod

Vintage scanners

There is a yahoo group called vintage scanners.
Some pretty cool stuff there .Check it out.
Chuck:lol:

sjlamb

There is a yahoo group called vintage scanners.
Some pretty cool stuff there .Check it out.
Chuck:lol:

I am a member of that group. The folks there are very nice but, the group doesn't have anywhere the amount of participation and exchange of information that is found on RR. There is a HUGE number of "vintage" members on this site (myself included) who I think would have alot of knowledge to share.

I think this site would be perfect for a section on older scanner technology, service/schematic information, pictures, model specific repair tips.... so forth and so on. Just one more aisle in what amounts to the Library of Congress of scanning information.

sjlamb

Glenn at Scanners Unlimited had a great collection of vintage scanners at his old shop. Hard to belive it has been 2 years since he closed.

I never had the pleasure. That's an opportunity and resource that I'm sorry to have missed. I would have love to have seen pics of that collection of radios. I bet there were some beauts among them.

I'm still on the lookout for a pristine MacDonald CE-110 or CE-100. I have a few for parts salvage but, finding one with collector quality external / cosmetic parts is gonna be a chore.

Same thing with the Ross Commando 9000 (Basically the same as the MaDonald units). I've put one togther that's perfect from a performance standpoint but in need of an exterior facelift.

scott123

I would be all for something like that. It's a great idea .... I love looking at old pics of vintage scanners. What great memories. Have an old Regency 10 channel myself. Will post a pic when I get a chance.

OldsDoug

If anyone is anywhere near Gaithersburg MD (suburb of Washington DC), the fire department there has a museum that includes a display of old "monitors" (i.e. before they scanned) and scanners - radios belong to one of the members who was a fire dispatcher for the county for many years. Definitely worth a look.

Sorry, I forgot to add the link... I thought I remembered a picture of the radio display cab but I guess not. Anyway

http://www.gwgvfd.org/museumPictures.cfm

Still worth a look!

DK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.