'VIP' responders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwiscan

I noticed a white SUV responding along with fire/police, prompt and nipsco today down the street from my house during a fire call. I believe the identifiers on the door of the vehicle said "VIP" or something to this effect.... I am not familar with them, what type of responder is this? They were not contractors I dont think, as they left with the fire/ems/police when they went back in service.

shauno

Premium Subscriber
I noticed a white SUV responding along with fire/police, prompt and nipsco today down the street from my house during a fire call. I believe the identifiers on the door of the vehicle said "VIP" or something to this effect.... I am not familar with them, what type of responder is this? They were not contractors I dont think, as they left with the fire/ems/police when they went back in service.

"VIPS" is Volunteers in Police Service. Usually like reserve police or ema personnel/civil defense....that kind of thing. Sometimes its just civilian volunteers also.

Last edited:

nwiscan

Thanks for the response. I searched and I see this program now, I was not aware of it. So I am assuming what I saw was a trained civilian volunteer sporting a 'VIP's' logo on his personal vehicle. I am guessing its a personal vehicle rather than part of a fleet.

I have never heard reference to these guys on local radio traffic. Am I missing something?

shauno

Premium Subscriber
Everywhere that I know of that uses/has this program, doesn't allow their VIPS personnel to use the radio. Or at least not on a regular basis. I see that you are from NW Indiana. Valparaiso PD has a team of VIPS and as far as I know they are used for mainly downtown parking enforcement or traffic control during events (i.e. popcorn fest). Those kinds of things. I guess, like anything else, its ultimately up to the department head to decide what they can/cannot do. Also, it could have very well be a department/fleet vehicle. Valpo PD has vehicles specifically designated for their VIPS personnel. And they are marked as such

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmmm, I always thought the VIP in any rescue op was the victim? :wink:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.