VIP Sec 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Soo.. im hearing a guy and gal chit chatting on VIP SEC 2.
.. whats going on in windsor?

Possibly chauffering a provincial minister to make an announcement in town... or maybe not,it could also have been an exercise similar to one heard on the QEW heading towards Niagara a while ago.

I guess discussion of "E" talkgroups should should be taboo here.

Next time,consider private messaging others you know, who would appreciate knowing what you heard.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I didnt post to tell the world what things they were saying.
Was just posting to see why I was hearing this talk group which iv never herd active, and what seems to be an always enc TG.

Sooo sorry all. That because of this now every service will go ENC. Iv already herd info of OPP wanting to do full enc all the time anyway. Sooo I really dont think this little thread will make a impact at all on anything

VE3RADIO

I didnt post to tell the world what things they were saying.
Was just posting to see why I was hearing this talk group which iv never herd active, and what seems to be an always enc TG.

Sooo sorry all. That because of this now every service will go ENC. Iv already herd info of OPP wanting to do full enc all the time anyway. Sooo I really dont think this little thread will make a impact at all on anything

OPP in the Toronto area rely on tow trucks too much to even consider ENC the dispatch channels.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
W71... you'd think so, wouldn't you?

There have been reports of the OPP moving to an encrypted system starting in a couple of years (like 2), beginning in the Caledon area. The "official" reason? Tows showing up at scenes.

What BS.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Keeping in mind that the OPP have dedicated "Media" channels for alerting tow trucks when help is needed. They could easily switch to an encrypted system and use the Media channels for their intended purpose.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Infact, I could very easily see them doing that. Perhaps even in Toronto. Have one conventional channel that the supervisor can voice over for a tow...or glass truck, or whatever.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Why dont alot of the police services do that? The tow company could have 1 radio just for that in their truck, and get dispatched direct from the police service. Rather then the dispatcher calling and talking to a tow dispatcher, then relay that to the driver n such.
Be cool if they could send the call direct to that company, then what ever truck responds can voice that over their own radio do their own dispatcher.

Or is that to much work?

CanWoodsman

No way can a police know what trucks are available and there locations for a tow company with multiple trucks. Certain calls require different tow truck types also. For many tow operators their pay is also based on the calls they attend. Far easier for police to contact tow dispatch & let them decide best truck to dispatch.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Far better, but also not how it works.

You hear all the time (at least in the GTA) "first available tow)...ie, whoever shows up first. The OPP dispatcher will actually say "first available tow, 401 west in the core at yonge call into the comm center".

Muxlow

Super Secret
How many different radios do they have in them trucks? When ever i pass the GTA area i see about 5 or 6 or more antennas.. do they have that many radios stacked up in there too? Any other place i see 2 at the max antennas on tow trucks.. but the GTA is insane

CanWoodsman

Far better, but also not how it works.
You hear all the time (at least in the GTA) "first available tow)...ie, whoever shows up first. The OPP dispatcher will actually say "first available tow, 401 west in the core at yonge call into the comm center".
And if 20 tow trucks claim to be the first available who decides who gets the call? The first to contact the comm. centre dispatcher even though they may be 20 mins. further away.? Seems like it could be a lot of work for police dispatch.
Many places operate differently. Quite often they rotate the calls between the approved tow companies. Not all tow trucks are approved. If secure impoundment is required even less are capable.
Some PD's have approved services for delegated area's.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
My understanding on OPP doing ENC is with the portables the officers carry along with the repeaters in the car. Mike or some of the other guys would have a better understanding of it to explane it.

I would guess a new digital repeater with ENC for most of the patrol cars could add up $$$ wise but the radios in the car could go ENC on a dime with a board added. I would have to guess the cost factor...

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Would there be some way to set up a sort of RadioRef Incident network , where you could get alerts to anything going on that people would put in a special forum per location , maybe sent by email or text ?
That way nothing sensitive would really be out in the public forums. I dunno theres gotta be some way
Do the authorities monitor this forum ? I wouldn't be surprised , but as pointed out,.... the radio system salesmen are probably a bigger worry , Im sure they dutifully log everything that would be of value to them in creating a presentation for customers.... on whey they need the most secure high tech & expensive system money can buy.....

Some type of incident network might be good to get set up now anyway because when scanners are eventually useless ( in the near future) , we will have to determine whats going on by actually going outside looking , & guessing... & reporting to each other ,
we will have to rely on leaks or human intel operations .....
Its gonna happen so might as well come up with something now .
By the way ,....any neighbourhood frs or gmrs watch groups should go encrypted,......I wonder how long that would last before they made it illegal because THEY couldn't listen....

Command30

And if 20 tow trucks claim to be the first available who decides who gets the call?

Usually they have a fist-fight.

I heard an OPP officer get into a fight with a Dispatcher over the radio one night, he wanted the first tow from the list - to which the Dispatcher explained didn't exist (heated words continued for several minutes)

Would there be some way to set up a sort of RadioRef Incident network , where you could get alerts to anything going on that people would put in a special forum per location , maybe sent by email or text ?

These exist, several examples of such are IncidentPage or 1RWN.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

There's the Ontario Hotshot list on Yahoogroups which is email based.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
And yes, they could encrypt with their current setup, just not the VRS's. Rumour has it, they'll use XTS2500 Model 1.5s with digital/encrypted VRS.

Most tow trucks have a dedicated radio for each channel. So in the GTA for highway tows... One for the OPP ops channel, one for MTO, one for media channel, one fire fire dispatch, one for highway patrol (TPS)...probably forgetting a few.

But they generally like one radio per talkgroup.

VE3RADIO

Usually they have a fist-fight.

I heard an OPP officer get into a fight with a Dispatcher over the radio one night, he wanted the first tow from the list - to which the Dispatcher explained didn't exist (heated words continued for several minutes)

These exist, several examples of such are IncidentPage or 1RWN.

I know a lot of tow drivers and most of them know each other and have respect for each other. I know it might be hard to believe but they do have morals and "Tow Code".

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The penalty for breaking said Tow Code... well, it's not good.

A tow truck driver was murdered several years ago and found in a park behind the Science Center in Toronto. Rumour going around is that he was notorious for stealing calls from other drivers. Not saying that had anything to do with his death, but there's a lot of people who believe that's the case.

Command30

I know a lot of tow drivers and most of them know each other and have respect for each other. I know it might be hard to believe but they do have morals and "Tow Code".

Is that anything like the "Radio Scanning Code" I always hear so much about on ScanOnt?

*ducks*

Status
Not open for further replies.