Viper Airspace & Adirondack Airspace Complex, Oswego, Grimm, Yankee, Laser MOAs/ATCAAs

nyplumma

Jan 5th, 2023 - Thursday

I made up some charts for myself (to view these chart attachments in full size you may need to log in) to reference the MOAs/ATCAAs airpsaces up here in NY/VT/NH/ME.

I didn't realize they were already on the "sectional chart" & "IFR Enroute chart(s)" background settings on ADS-B (MOA boundries shown only - the ATCAAs are not shown, but simply "above the MOAs" in altitude).

I pulled these (divided up purple areas) off another website and filled in the boxes myself. Then found another (very poor quality) jpg of the "Viper Airspace" and transferred what I saw there, over to my new chart, combining the "VIPER AIRSPACE" with (laying it over) the "Adirondack Airspace Complex".

For me, "knowing where" these jets are gave me a more complete understanding of what I was hearing. It's always nice to have images to go along with text and audio. So, for those (like me) who are just trying to understand all the MOAs & ATCAAs up here (NY/VT/NH/ME), this is for you. Accepting the fact that these are my own "home made" charts and may not be 100 percent gospel, ok?

Comments & Corrections are ALWAYS welcomed~! I need to learn, I know and for that I rely on you. Thanks for your patience & understanding. Enjoy. Today's log below.

best, lar ~ saratoga springs, ny

1_ADK_AIRSPACE_COMPLEX.jpg2_viiper_adirondack_airspace_ftdrum.jpg3_LASER_ATCAAs_YANKEE_MOA.jpg4_oswego_grimm_adk_laser_moa_atcaa.jpg5_viper_airspace.jpg

JAN 5th, 2023 Thursday

12:40pm 379.400 - (old syracuse ang cobra ops freq)
Several attempts made but no joy - couldn't make out "who" he was calling

12:50pm 244.500 - (Ft Drum Range Control? ANG OPS at Drum? = "Barkeater" & "Ice Digger" heard previously - air/ground)
Comms referenced Primary freq (379.4?) not working out too well and using this one (244.5) instead (and they did).
(PACK81 mentioned PACK82 coordinating/working with ground - (PACK82 & JEEP41 were shown in area via ADSB)

12:58pm 323.800 - PACK CONTROL ANG OPS - Portsmouth Intl at PEASE w/141.95 VHF CP -
PACK82 calling PACK CONTROL RTB PEASE - (several times no joy @ 10,000ft over Springfield, Mass)

*Parts of VIPER (ADK Airspace Complex) showing active from 1:30pm today until 1:30am tomorrow -
but no "2 hour time blocks as previously noted"

1:38pm 259.900 (MA ANG a/a button)
Brief hit on comms

1:39pm 261.800
Someone working in the area - comms weak to fair - no callsigns, but very active freq

1:43pm 323.000 - Boston ARTCC
"something-41" then went down into the weeds- something-1 switching then 226.3 popped up active but weak for me

1:44pm 226.300
Wheeler Sack Approach (MOA COMMON) = as listed in the AB/1b (look up VR-1801 notes).
I call this "VIPER Common" as it's used for check in / check outs into/out of the VIPER Airspace.
The Viper Airspace lays over the Adirondack Airspace Complex and is split into four parts = N,S,E,W
Take the northern boundry of Lowville & Tupper South MOA/ATCAAs and use that as "Viper North/South" boundry lines
Take the west line of Tupper South and Tupper West and Potsdam (MOA/ATCAAs) and use that as the "Viper East/West boundry lines".
Why is there more than one reference to same area? Ya got me: ie; Adirondack Airspace Complex & the Viper Airspace.
Use FAA SUA website or ADS-B Sectional chart background or IFR enroute background to SEE these MOA boundry lines.
*1/5/2023 @1:44pm 226.300 = had Very active comms -
check in / check out (who ever was working 234.8 & 261.8 ?) didn't catch callsigns

1:45pm 261.800
Very loud - two a/c - one female is on her game! Very active freq (went quiet at 2:15pm)

1:47pm 234.800
weak comms - unknown users - very active - female from 261.8 just popped up in candance check in

2:44pm 314.400
weak comms

2:47pm 226.300
mentioned being in the Viper airspace

2:49pm 234.800 & 314.400 & 226.3
call out contacts

3:03pm 244.500 weak comms

3:04pm 226.800 - active comms

3:11pm 314.400 - active comms

---------- out.

AirScan

I've been monitoring Viper airspace for a couple of years now, I'm located to the north up near Ottawa and can generally hear all traffic above around 10,000 feet. Not on your map is the LIGHTNING ATCAA that extends to the East of VIPER (it shows up on the FAA SUA website).

Here are some of my notes for the area. Likewise any updates or corrections appreciated.

The VT, MA and NY ANG are the most common users.

VT ANG 158FW KBTV (F-35s)

226.300 - AUX 13, Viper/Lightning Common, A-A
226.800 - AUX 18, A-A
234.800 - AUX 17, A-A
238.250 - AUX 14, Yankee Common, A-A
257.600 - AUX 11, Wheeler Sack Approach
261.800 - AUX 15, A-A
293.700 - AUX 01, Scorpian OPS, Strike SOF
314.400 - AUX 16, A-A
349.700 - AUX 19, A-A

MA ANG 104FW KBAF (F-15s)

259.000 - Button 2*, A-A
259.900 - Button 3*, A-A
264.850 - Button 4*, A-A
309.000 - Hawk OPS

* - Button numbers are likely but need confirmation

NY ANG 174AW KSYR (MQ-9s)

250.475 - SAR excercises
259.500 - Tactical A-A
267.800 - Tactical A-A
271.100 - Tactical A-A
379.500 - OPS

Fort Drum Range JTAC

141.675 -
226.900 - most common
244.500 - Initial Control/Entry
251.200 - needs confirmation ?
271.200 -
279.700 - Air Common
324.650 - used by DC ANG F-16s (2022.10)

Other

226.300 - Viper Common
254.200 - HUNTRESS, ACM HECKLER (rare), Blue Common, excercise with B-2s, F-35s, F-22s
257.600 - Wheeler Sack Approach
260.900 - HUNTRESS
276.500 - AR 609 and AR in Lightning 4, Primary
277.600 - HUNTRESS, ACM
282.700 - AR 609 (in Viper South) and AR in Lightning 4, Secondary
316.300 - HUNTRESS, ACM (rare)
323.000 - ZBW (Boston Center) High, Viper Entry/Exit
364.200 - HUNTRESS (aircraft in AR 609), published but so far not heard in use
377.100 - ZBW (Boston Center) Low, Viper Entry/Exit

Last edited:

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Jan 5th, 2023 - Thursday

I made up some charts for myself (to view these chart attachments in full size you may need to log in) to reference the MOAs/ATCAAs airpsaces up here in NY/VT/NH/ME.
Fantastic job Larry! Your back!!! Ha ha ha!

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Not on your map is the LIGHTNING ATCAA that extends to the East of VIPER (it shows up on the FAA SUA website).
Nice post to go alongside Larry's, Airscan. Great job! We really appreciate you guys sharing your freqs gained from many hours of listening! To add a picture, I've attached a little map I made a couple years ago when I found out about the LIGHTNING ATCAA. Enjoy!

Lightning ATCAA.jpg

jbella

Premium Subscriber
Airscan; Thanks for that list above. All my lists were older and headn't heard much in sporadic listening over the last few years. Organizing radios again and this has been gold. I'm near the GDM beacon and have heard and seen F-15s a couple times the last few months.

Driving from home to Quebec last week heard Button 4 and Yankee Common active along with a couple others.

AirScan

Airscan; Thanks for that list above. All my lists were older and headn't heard much in sporadic listening over the last few years. Organizing radios again and this has been gold. I'm near the GDM beacon and have heard and seen F-15s a couple times the last few months.

1530 EST- Viper is busy with MA ANG F-15s. 226.300, 259.000, 259.900 active. The VT ANG F-35s were in earlier from around 1320-1430 using 226.800 and 314.400.

zone5ive

I've been monitoring Viper airspace for a couple of years now, I'm located to the north up near Ottawa and can generally hear all traffic above around 10,000 feet. Not on your map is the LIGHTNING ATCAA that extends to the East of VIPER (it shows up on the FAA SUA website).

Always keep 341.3 plugged in. I've heard combat air patrols over Ottawa several times during presidential visits.

AirScan

MA ANG 104FW KBAF (F-15s)

259.000 - Button 2*, A-A
259.900 - Button 3*, A-A
264.850 - Button 4*, A-A
309.000 - Hawk OPS

* - Button numbers are likely but need confirmation

Upon further review it seems that 259.000 is button 5 (not 2), the other 2 are correct. These are the only 3 I've heard, but I suspect there is at least 1 more. B6 was mentioned yesterday but I didn't see a corresponding frequency.

nyplumma

Larry... is that really you...?
Terry up in Ottawa

Hey Terry & All,

As "Troy McClure" might say... "You may know me as":

milair =

milair@qth.net = creator of the military aircraft radio hobbyist list, which provided "real time logs" from the northeast from Sept 2000 until Sept 2001. Al Stern took this list over and posted his Florida logs on it until he passed. God Bless Al. He was a friend to me and I valued that friendship and still miss him today. Rest in peace my friend. I moved the "northeast milair list" from qth.net (public forum) over to Yahoo Groups (private forum) as: nemilar @ Yahoo Groups.

nemilair =

creator of the private radio hobbyist list focusing on military aircraft (real time logs) heard in the northeast hosted by Yahoo Groups. Same premise as qth.net, but "yahoo groups" was conducted in a "private forum" after 9/11. Pat from Vermont took nemilair@yahoo_groups over and changed the name to "Northeast Milair", then the group was passed on again & finally "Yahoo Groups" closed entirely.

I also had a Geocities website named: "nemilair".

From the "Way Back Machine": nemilair on Geocities:
(click on "x" at upper right to remove "archive banner" page reference):

"nemilair" - my website index page (remove "archive banner" by clicking "x" in upper right corner):

index

Pilot Kim "KC" ("Killer Chick") Campbell & her A-10 w/Baghdad battle damage:

kc

If this is who you thought I was, then "Yes" it's me!

Best, Lar

Lawrence Fowler
Saratoga Springs, NY
The "new york plumma"

nyplumma.jpg

nyplumma

Meet A-10 Warthog pilot: Colonel Kim "KC" Campbell - My American Hero:

One evening, just after midnight, I received an email from a fellow radio hobbyist from Europe. It contained photographs of a female pilot standing under a canopy (which I believed to be located in Kuwait) along side her A-10 Warthog that she piloted (A-10A serial: 81-0987) on April 7th, 2003 (serving as the wing man to her commanding officer) after a bombing run over Baghdad. Her aircraft was "shot to shxx" and to the amazement of all who viewed it, had no business still being in the air, little lone returning to base.

As I made my daily morning 60 mile drive from Glens Falls, NY to Albany, NY I tuned to 106.5 FM WPYX as I had every morning for years. This was the 50,000 watt "Classic Radio Station" and most popular in the Capital District. From 6-10am it featured a comedy/talk show called: "Wakin Up With The Wolf" made up of Bob Wolf and his side kick "Ellen Z" and other featured comedians such as: Tobin and Mulrooney, with "Sports" presented by "Coach Campbell", who was well known in the community for his contributions to local charities and sports programs. His brother also happened to be the Albany County Sheriff, James Campbell, who, like his brother, shared the affection of many in our area as being "well respected, kind in giving of his own personal time to those who were less fortunate and in need of help". Quality people.

After "Coach Campbell" finished his sports broadcast, he and the main host "Bob Wolf" got into a conversation about "Coach's Daughter-in-law" Kim who had just been shot up over Baghdad flying her A-10. Coach's son (Scott Campbell - a FAC = Forward Air Controller also in the USAF) happened to be Kim's husband. Coach said he hadn't seen pictures of Kim's aircraft yet, but he understood it was badly damaged and everyone was amazed that she was able to manually "fly by wire and cable" her A-10 back to base, using only the cables and wires, pulled by her human strength only, as all her hydraulics were destroyed and inoperable.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Could these photos I received at midnight the night before, be Coach's daughter in law's aircraft? They had to be... they simply "had to be" and later I contacted "Ellen Z" (co-host of the radio program) and she put me in touch with Bob Wolf (the main host of the radio show).

Bob told me Coach Campbell had "not seen" the pictures of Kim's aircraft yet but would like to. I sent Bob all the pics I had (what you see on my old website, which has since been taken down now due to the host: "Geocities" closing. Thus the "Way Back Machine" - the archive of the internet - is what you see today. If you know the "exact url" of an old website you put up or someone else did, that website has probably taken a snap shot of it and it's still available to view today, as nothing ever "truly goes away" once it's put into or onto a computer - erased, deleted or wiped).

Bob said he would get the photos to Coach and wondered if I could put them up on the internet for his listeners to see? I told Bob they were "already up" via my "FREE Geocities" website, to which he had his program producer put up a link on the radio show's website and "link to" my Geocities website with the photos. What I didn't realize was, this being a FREE website, it had limited bandwidth, thus after a few views per hour, Geocities "shut down and blocked" anyone else from viewing the page, "until" a new hour had begun and once the "daily limit" of bandwidth was attained, the site was shut down "for the day", until tomorrow.

BOY.. did THAT cause Bob some headaches as "hundreds of his listeners" were now emailing and calling him, wondering WHY the link on his website didn't work! "No good deed goes unpunished" I told Bob. To which he responded: "You HAVE TO fix this, I don't know WHAT you have to do, but YOU HAVE TO fix this, as I'm getting HAMMERED with complaints thanks to YOU. (Oh brother, me and my big mouth!).

I contacted Geocities and was informed that I could "purchase the website" (thus more bandwidth per hour/per day) and the views would be "UNLIMITED", thus the link from "WPYX 106.5 WAKIN UP WITH WOLF" website WOULD REALLY WORK and the conversation on the radio could once again point to, the pictures I was sent and thankfully, all was fixed and everyone was happy.

Later on, Coach's son "Scott" appeared on the radio show (with the whole crew) and (I believe) even LATER (when Kim got a break from the national media) "She finally appeared" with her father-in-law (COACH) and the entire broadcast crew during the morning show 6-10am. Since most "celebrity interviews" were done in the last 9-10am hour of the show, I was not able to hear it as I was already at work by then.

I was SO happy to be able to show Coach (via Bob Wolf) PICTURES of his daughter-in-law's aircraft that she had so heroically flown in battle and then against all odds, even against the advice of her lead wing man (who was also her commander) flown that Warthog "back to base" and LANDED IT SAFELY for all to see. Kim became "mine, and many others" inspiration and source of pride.

She was, what we all try to become in our life's most trying times.. "BRAVE" and she was so much more than that but "that was enough" for all of us. Something and someone I'll never forget. Kim "KC" Campbell, a United States Air Force Pilot who set the standard and the bar high above the rest for those who wished to be known by such gallant behavior.

"Above" is my own personal experience, and "why" I put a webpage up in her honor. See post above this one for link.

"Below" are the specs I gleaned as well as "Kim in her own words", that she related about the incident.

Kim said: "We did our job with the guys there on the ground, and as we were on our way out is when I felt the jet get hit. It was pretty obvious — it was loud... I lost all hydraulics instantaneously, and the jet rolled left and pointed toward the ground, which was an uncomfortable feeling over Baghdad. It didn't respond to any of my control inputs."

She tried several procedures to get the aircraft under control, none of which worked; last, she put the plane into manual reversion, meaning she was flying the aircraft without hydraulics. The aircraft immediately responded. Kim: "The jet started climbing away from the ground, which was a good feeling because there was no way I wanted to eject over Baghdad."

With some technical advice from her flight leader, Lieutenant Colonel Turner, she flew the crippled plane for an hour back to the air base.

Kim: "The jet was performing exceptionally well. I had no doubt in my mind I was going to land that airplane." Landing was tricky: "When you lose all the hydraulics, you don't have speed brakes, you don't have brakes, and you don't have steering."

Again as I understand it, her A-10 aircraft cockpit was encased in titanium armor which protect her as well as aircraft systems, which enabled it to absorb damage and continue flying.

Her "flight lead" did a "battle damage" assessment after "KC" related she was shot up pretty bad and had lost all hydraulics on the aircraft. Again (as I understand it) her commander advised her to "bail out" due to the severity of the damage and her limited ability to fly it. Her thoughts were, if she "did bail out" (over the desert) her chances of survival would diminish considerably.

First due to the conditions of an extremely hot barren dry desert with nothing but a visual of sand for miles and second, if she "was captured" and taken prisoner, she faced, with all likelihood, being raped, tortured and then ultimately killed as an enemy combatant. A future she did not envision for herself, thus, she had to figure another way out. Another way "to live".

After landing, it was discovered that her A-10 had sustained damage to one engine and to the redundant hydraulic systems, disabling the flight controls, landing gear and brakes, and horizontal stabilizer. A detailed inspection revealed hundreds of holes in the air frame and that large sections of the stabilizer and hydraulic controls were missing.

"She's one of the few pilots who ever landed the A-10 in the manual mode," said General Richard Myers, USAF, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

The A-10 aircraft incorporates an emergency backup control mode, the Manual Reversion Flight Control System MRFCS. Maintaining effective control in this mode is a demanding pilot task, but it is not practiced in the flying training syllabus. Suffice it to say, employing this system is extremely "physically demanding" and requires great strength and fortitude, which "KC" demonstrated in Aces by saving her own life and the aircraft she had dutifully put her life "in the hands of" and she was not disappointed. She ultimately landed her A-10 by using only 'Cranks and Cables'. The aircraft became an extension of her own abilities and it returned her to base with the pilot safe for future missions.

For her heroic action in aerial combat, Campbell was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Then Captain Kim Campbell (who went on to become: Colonel Kim Campbell), last I found her she had attained the rank of Commander, 612th Theater Operations Group, Davis–Monthan Air Force Base, from July 2016 to June 2018 and then retired in 2021. Her total years of service to our country were from: 1997–2021.

--------------------------

Articles inserted for further reading regarding the A-10s (fly by wire) manual mode:

A-10 pilot explains how the Warthog can fly and RTB when it loses hydraulic systems by Dario Leone - Oct 18 2021:
‘When the Hawg loses hydraulics, it goes into fly-by-wire mode. Of course, this isn’t the new-fangled electronic “fly-by-wire” like you have on the F-16 and newer fighter jets, says: Lynn Taylor former A-10 pilot.
A-10 pilot explains how the Warthog can fly and RTB when it loses hydraulic systems - The Aviation Geek Club

--------------------------

In her own words - Meet, (now retired Colonel) Kim Campbell:
Via YouTube Feb 25th, 2020 - Kim's Presentation (talk):

Colonel Kim N. Campbell is the Chair, Airpower Innovation & Integration, Department of Military and Strategic Studies, U.S. Air Force Academy. Colonel Campbell was commissioned in 1997 as a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree in space operations. She is a Marshall Scholar with two master's degrees, one in business administration from the University of London, and one in international security studies from the University of Reading, England. She is married to another A-10 pilot (and FAC = Forward Air Controller), Major Scott Campbell, whom she met at the Air Force Academy.

------------------------

From Wikipedia:

Colonel Kim Nichole Reed-Campbell (born June 6, 1975) is,
a retired United States Air Force officer and Command Pilot:

Kim Campbell (pilot) - Wikipedia

------------------------------

Air Force Pilot Landed Damaged A-10 Using Only 'Cranks and Cables'

Air Force Pilot Landed Damaged A-10 Using Only 'Cranks and Cables'

From Military History - Colonel Kim Campbell:

Kim Campbell (pilot)

Thank you for your service to our country Kim! You made America proud by service to country and all you've done as an example to others wishing to become "USAF Pilots". We "do owe" a debt of gratitude to those who serve and take "our place" on the battlefield when serving our armed forces. God bless you Kim. We have NOT forgotten you.

Best, Lawrence W. Fowler - Saratoga Springs, NY

*Inserted Image of Captain (now Retired Colonel) Kim "KC" Campbell:

Kim_campbell_a10_original_file.jpg

PS (personal reference): "Thanks, Rene! You did a good thing".

PPS milair & nemilair:

I realize many could never understand why I took a radio hobbyist list from "public" (milair@qth.net) to "private" (nemilair@yahoogroups), I offer you the following: I knew many people in the 102nd FW/101st FS at Otis ANGB from pilots to life support to EOD to security. These people were "my friends". People that invited me into their area of the base (behind: I GATE where "civilians" were not welcomed) and was treated as "family". From showing me what they did in support of our military, to allowing me access to the cockpits of F-15s to buying me a drink at the local club on base.

These people "trusted me" and I could not in good conscience "betray that trust" by "being a conduit" that published Combat Air Patrol callsigns, frequencies and times on/off station after nearly 3000 people died on September 11th 2001. To me, continuing on the open internet with this information, in a time of war, (that being the key here) was doing my friends a grave disservice in allowing this to continue, in my name.

Thus, I took it upon myself to take the group to a "private forum" and 80 plus members joined me and for that interaction, I will always be grateful for that friendship extended to me and I thank you for your understanding, whether you agree or disagree regardless. I appreciate the benefit of the doubt you all extend to me.

----- fin.

jbella

Premium Subscriber
I was part of that private list for a while. It was a good conduit. My rx site was degraded when I upgraded my home. I appreciate all you and others like Bill Jasset did in those days when it was much more difficult to get information.

nyplumma

Courage is not the "absence of fear" it's the "acknowledgement of fear" and then doing the "right thing anyways", in spite of that fear. That's what Kim Campbell demonstrated on that day. "Courage and Leadership".

Don't miss her personal account of flying the A-10, even though (for all intents and purposes) that aircraft "should not be in the air". Instead, she showed "courage", overcame her fear and relied on her training and self confidence and then decided... "Not today. Today we're going home. I decide".

NCLS 2020 - Colonel Kim Campbell - U.S. Air Force Academy
Her personal account of the entire incident with photographs.
(Don't miss this as "this video", as "this" is the other side of the radio - "This" is real life).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09qPMKR1_w

*Contrary to what I was told by others, KC relates (in this video) her flight lead "did not" advise her to bail out, but make that decision on her own and no matter what she decided, he would support her, 100 percent. That's having your back!

best, lar

nyplumma

As the quote goes: "If you speak to someone at the level of the mind, then you'll "speak to their mind". If you speak from your heart, you'll speak to "their heart". But, if you speak through "your life" and your "life is the story", then you "change lives" and that's why I bring to your attention, in hopes of changing those lives, yet to be fully lived, a person of above average caliber. Someone who has lived with courage and through that courage, provided leadership for others to model after and strive to become.

Below is a book describing that courage, leadership and life lessons learned, related by a battle seasoned A-10A pilot who received the "Distinguished Flying Cross" award for combat service. From 1997-2021, Kim devoted her life to "service to country". She attained the rank of Colonel and served as the Commander, 612th Theater Operations Group, Davis–Monthan Air Force Base, from July 2016 to June 2018, then went onto teach as Chair, Air-power Innovation & Integration, Department of Military and Strategic Studies, at the U.S. Air Force Academy, from which she graduated in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science degree in space operations. In her continuing education as a "Marshall Scholar" she's earned two master's degrees, one in business administration from the University of London, and one in international security studies from the University of Reading, England.

After retiring in 2021, completing a 24 year career in the Air Force, she focused on writing her own life's story, her home and her husband (USAF A-10 pilot and FAC) Major Scott Campbell and raising her two boys (now 10 and 14) and of course, her dog: "Bandit". Her life's story is an inspiration to all, in leadership, courage and life lessons learned that "will change lives" for years to come. "KC" continues to host group leadership team building seminars as well as doing interviews in anticipation of her book publication, set for release on March 8th, 2023:

"Flying In The Face Of Fear: A Fighter Pilot's Lessons On Leading With Courage" (see image below):

flying_in_the_face_of_fear_march_2023.jpg

best, lar

AirScan

The Fort Drum Range (R5202A-B) in Viper is advertised active today up to FL290 from 1500-1700 EST. Keep an ear out on the JTAC frequencies. 244.500 and 226.900 are usually the most common ones used. Might be bombers ? B-1s, B-2s and B-52s have all used it in the past.

nyplumma

As of 9:30am - 10am (eastern) I've got: 244.5, 314.4, 226.8 all w/active comms - had a brief hit on 259.9 (round 9am or so then quiet). Climbing up FL35-39, "Lightning"?