VIPER along Interstate 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Next week I will be traveling I-40 from Knoxville TN to Durham, NC. I have downloaded the VIPER system into my scanner but can anyone please tell me the tower sites I need to monitor along I-40 to Durham so I do not have to monitor all 222 sites?
Thank you.

mdmcclish

What I've done in the past is look up I-40 in Wikipedia and it will tell you what county is it runs through. Then I would look on radio reference and search the webpage for those counties. Then program those into the scanner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Nope, you click you only get the site details, no coverage shown. At least not on Chrome!

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
Nope, you click you only get the site details, no coverage shown. At least not on Chrome!
Milf, I stand corrected.

Let's try it another way . . .

If you access the VIPER system through the RadioReference web page, then click on the hyperlink that is the name of the site, it will open another page with details about the site, and a map.

Try this link for Winston Salem State University: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=23803 to give an idea of what I was aiming for. Of course, these maps are not 100% accurate. "Your mileage might vary."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

GamecockSJ

There is a map which has a pin for the sites. I'll try to post a link here:

Site Map: VIPER Statewide Trunking System, Varies, North Carolina

As you select each site, you can also see a hypothetical coverage area on the map. Drive safely.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I don't know who created/manages the map, but some of these dots are wrong. The tower listed for Greenville was dismantled 5+ years ago and a new one built in another part of town. I'm also not aware of a site in Fairfield, but there is one in Rose Bay on the opposite side of Mattamuskeet Lake.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
What I've done in the past is look up I-40 in Wikipedia and it will tell you what county is it runs through. Then I would look on radio reference and search the webpage for those counties. Then program those into the scanner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info. I did look up the counties through Wikipedia and entered the sites.
Thanks Again.

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I don't know who created/manages the map, but some of these dots are wrong. The tower listed for Greenville was dismantled 5+ years ago and a new one built in another part of town. I'm also not aware of a site in Fairfield, but there is one in Rose Bay on the opposite side of Mattamuskeet Lake.

I just submitted a request to fix the Greenville site.

Looking up the site at Rose Bay (as described in RR db) the license comes back to a site in Fairfield on the north side of Lake Mattamuskeet. The exact coordinates don't show a tower but it is close to the Forestry District Office. Whether or not it's there I don't know. But the FCC license is where many of these coordinates come from.

Edit: Upon further investigation, the license for the Rose Bay site has been canceled and the new license for those frequencies are showing up for Swan Quarter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.