Viper- Alpha 1 & Golf Tg's

Status
Not open for further replies.

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Hearing a lot of activity on Alpha-1 and the Golf talk groups in Pitt County. Does anybody know uses these talk groups?

trumpetman

Database Admin
They should be programmed into every radio that has VIPER access, they can be used for just about anything where a common channel is needed among a group.

fjmrgm4l

One thing I notice ALOT is Feds using the state event TG's for their surveillance ops. IMHO not very smart and I suspect they believe they are on secure channels and can talk freely....

It allows them to communicate with local/state support to include aircraft, on a common channel.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that the State should create a cashew of radios that are set up with a common encrypted channel or group of channels. Whenever an organization, say the DEA, needs to do an operation and has local agency or aviation support, they request a set of radios from the cache and use them for the duration of the investigation.

The operation would be "secure" from the "bad guys" who currently could monitor every move being made on them

p3nt4g0n

Premium Subscriber
One thing I notice ALOT is Feds using the state event TG's for their surveillance ops. IMHO not very smart and I suspect they believe they are on secure channels and can talk freely....

It allows them to communicate with local/state support to include aircraft, on a common channel.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that the State should create a cashew of radios that are set up with a common encrypted channel or group of channels. Whenever an organization, say the DEA, needs to do an operation and has local agency or aviation support, they request a set of radios from the cache and use them for the duration of the investigation.

The operation would be "secure" from the "bad guys" who currently could monitor every move being made on them

That would be pretty expensive. Alot of these investigations go on for months if not years. Also they have numerous cases like these going on at the same time throughout the state. Alot of variables at play. That cashew of radios would have to be pretty large. Another thing, if these "bad guys" are smart enough to get the scanner working, I doubt they will be able to figure out what channel they are on....well unless they come on these forums and see your post, then they might have a clue.

fjmrgm4l

Put it this way....is it more expensive than the loss of an LEO life (or any loss of life)? There is not many ops going on at any one time over the VIPER system....the most I've heard is around three at the same time.

All it will take is for ONE of the bad guys to figure out that there is a surveillance op going on and it could not only put the whole investigation in danger but it could open up the possibility of an ambush targeting LEO/Public Safety.

So I wouldn't be concerned about the expense of the encrypted radios.

reconrider8

That would be pretty expensive. Alot of these investigations go on for months if not years. Also they have numerous cases like these going on at the same time throughout the state. Alot of variables at play. That cashew of radios would have to be pretty large. Another thing, if these "bad guys" are smart enough to get the scanner working, I doubt they will be able to figure out what channel they are on....well unless they come on these forums and see your post, then they might have a clue.

My thoughts exactly. If they are smart enough to know they are after them then good for them but I highly doubt they would. Also as for the forums your really not supposed to pass on what you hear especially if it's an on going investigation. I listen to them all the time but you don't see me posting it on Facebook or even on this forum.

Also it's my understanding it's against the rules to encrypt on the events talk groups.

RF-Burns

It's apparent that the majority of the people talking in this thread have absolutely no idea about Motorola radios and Viper.

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
I have a lot encrypted tall groups programmed in to my Pro 668. These talk groups are supposed to be encrypted for example FBI. 90% of the transmissions are encrypted but approximately 10% of the time I can hear the traffic. I'm not sure how the encryption on these radios work but like I said sometimes The operators are talking and they are not encrypted. Maybe they think the encryption is on but sometimes it's not. I have heard some very interesting traffic but would not think of posting any of it anywhere

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
The overwhelming majority of B&E actors and Meth cookers have no idea how LE communications work.
I challenge any LE organization to revel that they can't catch bad actors because they are equipped with scanners or apps.
Good LE agencies never use names and locations on the air. Successful crooks don't exist. Unless your talking about the government. LOL

Last edited:

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I've heard federal surveillance coms on a local interoperability system, it was challenging to figure out where they were. Once you figure out where they're near, then you can decipher the exact location

Status
Not open for further replies.