Viper / OBX and NCSP - new freq = 45.20 and 45.70 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
I was in the Outer Banks this past weekend and stopped in at the local radio shack. They gave me and upto date freq list and noted the NCSP was listed as 45.20 and 45.70.
These appear to be wrong, does any one have the correct freq. I had the entier RR state NCSP freqs in the scanner (BC 396T) and heard no NCSP radio traffic.

I also had the viper system loaded and heard two new ids. 27120 and 13456. Is it possible these are NCSP frequencies?

Any help would be great.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My advice is to not listen to what any RS employee has to say.

As for those IDs, there are none in the RR DB that are close to those that are ID'd

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> They gave me and upto date freq list and noted the NCSP was listed as 45.20 and 45.70. These appear to be wrong ...

Someone typed the RS list with a broken finger. I presume they were trying to type 42.50 and 42.70 MHz., which may still not be correct.

The last I heard, most of Dare County was covered by 42.92 / 42.72, although there are sections of Hatteras Island where the Hyde County (Englehard) remote on 42.62 / 42.78 is easier to hit for contact with Williamston.

RadioReference shows 42.92 / 42.72 being used in Dare aand all surrounding counties.

With regards to your Viper reception, check the frequency you are hearing the control channel on, as well as the frequency(S) you are hearing voice traffic on. Your scanner may be locking down on another system sharing some frequencies with your target Viper site.

CCHLLM

Not sure exactly what NCSP means, but the freqs you're inquiring about would probably be low band Highway Patrol freqs, and I can confirm that the NCSHP low band is very much alive and well on the OBX - I'm a frequent visitor and property owner there. 45 mHz freqs are used by EM and some local governments in the area, but it's mostly public works departments. The HP units frequently use the Dare SO freqs (UHF radios apparently provided by Dare County?) unless they're talking to Williamston Comm Center or sometimes each other on 3 Way. Channel 17 (42.72/PL 173.8 - mobile to base) & 18 (42.92/PL 173.8 - base TX and car-to-car) are used there (Beaufort, Currituck, Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, Washington).

Radio Shack. You have questions, we have blank stares...... Oh, and cell phone sales pitches.

Last edited:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
FWIW, Larry - 45.20 MHz is a valid frequency, with several licenses in N.C. ... but not for the NCHP.

There's one county in western N.C. using the channel for school bus operations.

The other licenses are assigned to the N.C. Department of Corrections for operations around a few specific prison facilities, including 3 in the northeast part of the state.

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
Thank, I knew the RShack stuff was just full of error. Not sure what 800 system I was hearing in Kitty Hawk, on a Viper freq.....so figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.