Viper Pro-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a PRO-106 VIPER file they would be willing share?
I have several different ways of setting mine up but would like to see what someone else has done in terms of system management. Since you can only put 32 frequencies per system, this presents unique challenges.

Thanks,

Jon

kscott

Premium Subscriber
Since I only listen from my home location try the method I use. Switch to tune mode, enter 853 enter, scan upwards and note the P25 VIPER sites that show up with a reasonable signal strength. You will probably find much fewer than the 32 site frequency limits.

For downloading from RadioReference using software like PSR-500, etc., I select any single site and the talkgroups I want. Then edit to add the found site frequencies.

Drafin

I have several different ways of setting mine up but would like to see what someone else has done in terms of system management. Since you can only put 32 frequencies per system, this presents unique challenges.

Thanks,

Jon

I'm a little confused. Why is the 32 frequency limitation a problem? You can only hear so many towers from any given location and each tower only has 2-4 control channels or alts and that's all you need to scan effectively.

I guess if you wanted to enter the whole system into the your scanner (for traveling and such) you could do something such as set up different "zones". For instance put the control/alt channels in for everything between the state line and Asheville and call it Mountains - West. Then grab all the control channels for towers in the Boone NC area and call it Mountains - North and so forth and so on until you had the whole state entered.

Personally I just program the area that I want to monitor when travelling and my destination in my 500. Normally I just have one scan list dedicated to the traveling and destination that changes for me routinely.

You could set it up differently, these are just my suggestions.

Draf

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Yes, this would be for traveling the entire state. I don't want to have to re-program each time I travel out to a different area. But I guess to keep it simple, that is what I'll do.

Thanks

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Use V-scanners. Break the state up into regions - somewhere between 5 and 8 - and create a V-Scanner for each region. As you travel, you can switch to a new V-scanner folder as you move into a new region. V-scanner folders are stored on the radio and you can switch to a new V-scanner folder in a matter of seconds, with about 10 button presses or so.

Then you can create multiple TSYS objects within each v-scanner region configuration. I generally put no more than 4 sites into a single TSYS object.

kc4jgc

Thanks,

Jon

I have noted there are so many more sites than on the Astro system. I have my virtual scanners set up to coincide with SHP troop boundaries. With so many more sites, I decided to further separate each troop into two systems. For example, I have tower sites in Troop A Divisions 1-3 as VIPER (A) North, divisions 4-8 as VIPER (A) South. I have done the same for troops B (North and South), C (East and West) & D (East and West). Still working on the rest. This still stretches the limits, but seems to be working. I was in Burlington and Greensboro the last 2 days; during my down time I worked on mapping sites and organizing.

KM4WLV

I can't speak for the 106 much as far as programming because I got rid of mine 2 days after getting it because of horrid reception issues. In my 396XT if it helps here's how I set up things.....

It helps me to set things up as suggested in a "Zone" style format. When it came time to reprogram all my VIPER stuff once the P25 transition happened I broke up the agencies into their own "Zones", rather than just programming all the sites I would routinely monitor. For example SHP Troop E has it's own zone, Wildlife has it's own, DEA, etc so I can pick and choose what I want to hear. If I'm monitoring a local gov't agency on VIPER rather than tagging that zone as part of the VIPER system I name it by whatever agency/city/county it's being used by.

Hopefully I didn't just completely lose you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.