Viper Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexFD1909

Hey everyone had a question about the viper system. When i was on Clayton EMS in Johnston county some of us went to a training in Wilmington, our Pro-voice radios actually would pickup and we even talked to our dispatch and out station on our pro-voice private channel...i know Wake County is on Viper which is a state wide system, does that mean you can go anywhere in the state and either hear or talk on the 800 system to raleigh or whatnot. or would a scanner pick up the ID's from around here? thanks

zack

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
There is a whole section on this in the data base for NC. As I understand it Yes you are linked. I have not read the whole thing as it is alot to read. Check it out. I listened to a auto chase on I-95 in Halifax Co. on my home scanner here in Pikeville on the Viper system.
Click on the Viper system. There is info under Misc. system info. with some cool clickable links and all the way down at the bottom of the page .
Mark

Last edited:

ApexFD1909

Thanks...im trying to save the money to buy one that will get the viper system...19 yrs old and with a car payment for a mustang cant just go buy one yet..take care...

zack

pboy

Don't worry about an immediate investment in a digital scanner.

Full digital implementation of the system is a good ways off yet.

There are exceptions. Wake County. Pitt County. Some others have active digital talkgroups. A handful of state agencies as well.

Uniden BCT-15 is analog and inexpensive. It can handle large TG lists much better than older models.

mypoppa

The way i see it there is only one county in N.C. Wake.Thats all you see any info about.
That tells me something about priorites.

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
There are several countys involved. The info you looked at was for Wake. Click the links to the maps and also scroll down for the frequincies and ID's. That will show you all the countys currently on the system. Also to the lower right of pboy entrie (the one above yours) he has a very informative link to the Viper system.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Pittems2006 said:
Hey everyone had a question about the viper system. When i was on Clayton EMS in Johnston county some of us went to a training in Wilmington, our Pro-voice radios actually would pickup and we even talked to our dispatch and out station on our pro-voice private channel...i know Wake County is on Viper which is a state wide system, does that mean you can go anywhere in the state and either hear or talk on the 800 system to raleigh or whatnot. or would a scanner pick up the ID's from around here? thanks

zack

Zack-
The ability to hear a talkgroup depends on a number of factors:
1) Is the talkgroup setup in the Zone Controller to be a local talkgroup confined to a certain number of sites or is it setup to be Zone Wide (State Wide)?
2) Depending on the Control Channel you are monitoring is there a radio with the talkgroup affiliated in the area? Example: I have a friend "Joe Smith" who works on a local Public Service agency on the Viper system....he can take his 800Mhz Handheld radio from Wake County to Greensboro and once there his radio will affilate with the Greensboro Viper Site and his local Public Service Talkgroup will show up & can be monitored in Greensboro as long as his radio is working off the Greensboro Tower....when he radio quits communicating with the Greensboro site then you will no longer hear his local talkgroup....hopefully this makes sense...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
mypoppa said:
The way i see it there is only one county in N.C. Wake.Thats all you see any info about.
That tells me something about priorites.

You must see a different VIPER system than I see listed in the RR.com database :cool:
I see a statewide listing for several different agencies including NCSHP, NC Emergency Management, ABC, ALE & others as well as local listings for Granville County, Catawba County, Craven County, Orange County, Pitt County, & Sampson County....
Are the primary users of the system located in Wake County? YES
Why? Because that is where the system started up and Wake was the first county to work hand in hand with the NC Highway Patrol to help upgrade communications in their area...Wake was the Guinea pig for this project if you will :)
Have no fear I am sure you will see more local info for your area as time goes on...remember this project is still in the early stages and we will see alot of changes before everything is said and done....
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

ApexFD1909

thanks a lot everyone...Now that i moved back toward Raleigh, im getting back on with Clayton EMS...i wish we were on viper, i hate getting calls where either Garner EMS in wake county come to us for we go to them and we cant talk to each other..Mabey just MABEY they will work something out...take care

zack

Status
Not open for further replies.