VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
That is a very nice tower I will try to get a photo of the Slocomb tower here in Cumberland Co another very nice tower and location

da2ricky

I've been seeing quite a few threads on these forums recently about entire counties/systems going to full encryption. Has anyone heard any talk of that happening with NC VIPER? Right now I think there's only a handful of federal channels that are encrypted on VIPER, none that I really care much about anyway.

I mainly monitor my counties P25 system that's separate from VIPER. One of the major reasons I don't stream is because I'm worried it'd gain too much popularity and encryption would follow.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Onslow County has some encrypted talkgroups, but I don't see them going full-time any time soon. As far as VIPER goes, I wouldn't think they would either based on numbers alone.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
That is a very nice tower I will try to get a photo of the Slocomb tower here in Cumberland Co another very nice tower and location

Just for yall's viewing pleasure, here is a shot I took of the WSSU VIPER site in Forsyth County:
IMG_6584.JPG

And these are the main towers on Sauratown Mountain (there are smaller ones down the mountain out of frame) -- one of these is the VIPER tower but I forget which one:

IMG_E8787.JPG

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Nuclear release exercise Alpha 2

Happening this morning, DHHS conducting exercise simulating release of nuclear materials. Happening on Viper Alpha 2 TG 51956, just starting limit traffic now but expect it to ramp up soon. May involve other TGs but have not heard anything else.

MBennett

Premium Subscriber
Question:

I Have a SDS200 and I am having issues picking up traffic I have it in the back room of my house and I am having issues picking up example IMdspFDR Talkgroup ID 51830 is one that I do receive a lot of hits off of and this morning and when I do updates to my favorites list it goes nuts . If anyone can help Thanks.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
If I have got this wrong sorry but TG#51508 is listed as ALE Dist 4 but I have been hearing Medical Helos on it today.They are talking East Care One has some TGs been given to other Dept

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Anyone monitor Viper in Ashe County? All I ever hear is the Ashe County Sheriff simulcast and the NCHP on Viper. Guess Ashe must not be very active for Viper transmissions.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Anyone monitor Viper in Ashe County? All I ever hear is the Ashe County Sheriff simulcast and the NCHP on Viper. Guess Ashe must not be very active for Viper transmissions.
Ashe uses VHF for all communications. The sheriff is simulcasted onto VIPER but that's it. Their VHF system works very well as it comes in nicely at my location in Forsyth County,

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Ashe uses VHF for all communications. The sheriff is simulcasted onto VIPER but that's it. Their VHF system works very well as it comes in nicely at my location in Forsyth County,
Thank you, for clarifying this for me. After months of monitoring Viper, I realized there wasn't much traffic on it in this area and doubt there ever will be.

jstephens1

Feed Provider
question i noticed today iw as picking up TG 18504 and when i look in the DB there is nothing listed. i found a post here from 2017 that says it is Mt Holly PD. Am i doing something wrong looking at the DB or is it just missing?

18504 4848 D Mt Holly PD Mount Holly Police Dispatch Law Dispatch

proscan
Code:
Talk Group, Frequency, Tone, RSSI, UID, Mod, Hits, Duration, Start Date / Time, End Date / Time, System / Site - Group - Channel
18504,854.0875,,443,,NFM,448,00:00:17,06/09/19  20:46:44,06/09/19  20:57:23,Gaston Simulcast

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
question i noticed today iw as picking up TG 18504 and when i look in the DB there is nothing listed. i found a post here from 2017 that says it is Mt Holly PD. Am i doing something wrong looking at the DB or is it just missing?

Not Viper it is Charlotte UASI

Last edited:

jstephens1

Feed Provider
i also noticed the freq is 854.0875 which is not listed for gaston and i can't find it in my scanner DB either.....odd

da2ricky

I'm hearing transmission on TGID 52141(TROOP A DIST6 Craven, Pamlico Cos) off the Holly Ridge tower.

Two questions...

1. On my scanner display it reads "52141 - 52141", does that mean its patched?
2. Why/how am I hearing this all the way on the south east side of Onslow?!

I'm also picking up TGID 52336 (State Highway Patrol - Microwave Techs) off the Holly Ridge tower with RID's being displayed but I haven't actually heard anyone say anything.

Last edited: