VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hearing what sounds like SHP Training on Foxtrot 1, all units are identifying as Xray-8xx, dispatcher (sounds like real dispatch) is using a regular radio with RID 2160304, not a dispatch RID. All I'm hearing is accidents and running of plates.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Two new NCSHP license using both Phase I and Phase II

License 1 WRDU881
HP-1025, BELMONT, 2300 SOUTHPOINT ROAD
Belmont, NC GASTON County
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=4183104

License 2 WRDU882
HP-1054, CROWDERS, 480 BETHANY RD
GASTONIA, NC GASTON County

HP-1143, KINGS MT, MCGINNIS ROAD CLEVELAND COUNTY TMS#4-71-1-32
KINGS MOUNTAIN, NC CLEVELAND County

HP-1049, CHERRYVILLE, 313 RIDGE ROAD
CHERRYVILLE, NC GASTON County

HP-1365, STANLEY, 902 SOUTH MAIN STREET
STANLEY, NC GASTON County

HP-1105, GASTON PD, 210 E. LONG AVENUE
GASTONIA, NC GASTON County

HP-1201, PASOUR MT, 202 HUDLOW RD
FOREST CITY, NC GASTON County
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=4183105

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
yep thanks going to park on it and see if I can ID it may have been just a id check coming from the Sheriff side

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Unknown type of training exercise happening now on Viper Charley 2 and 4, TG 51964 and 51966, involving state EMOC and multiple counties. Utilizing callsigns YODA # among others.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
That was the large scale exercise this morning for Day 5 of Communications Week at Charlotte Fire Academy. “YODA” was one of many group tactical calls signs.

Zbizzle911

Just a little update on the switch over in Davidson county. The viper system is being used more and more as people are getting used to it. On august 13th there is supposed to be quite a bit of testing on the system that day. The consoles were supposed to be switched out in the past week or so. Word is right now its supposed to go live October 1.

Zbizzle911

Do you know if all county agencies will be using the VIPER system? I know that public safety is rolling over but what about the school systems, municipal public works and the like?
No it will only be County fire/ EMS/ SD/ Lexington fd/ Lexington Pd/ Denton PD/ FMO / EM. It is my understanding that you can only use the viper system for public safety/ Emergency responder type stuff, but I could be wrong. If the county had built their own system I'm sure other gov agencies like you're asking about would of been on it.

CFP387

That's what I was thinking. Do you know if they plan on some sort of interoperability between agencies that aren't on VIPER should the need arise?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That's what I was thinking. Do you know if they plan on some sort of interoperability between agencies that aren't on VIPER should the need arise?

Several counties have a County Common, Ops, EMOC and/or Mutual Aid channels that county agencies can communicate on in case of emergency that involves departments beyond public safety which are on VIPER. They are listed on the VIPER System database page.

Zbizzle911

We have a common talk group that I would think would be used for that. They don't / won't have radios though unless the county gave them some or they bought some of their own and honestly I don't see that happening.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Just had a good example of no inter-op report of person in water and the NC parks service still on VHF could not contact the Sheriff who is on Viper for location of incident

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
That is just poor planning between agencies.

Our system is fully encrypted 380 MHz, but we have complete interoperability with agencies that are analog lowband VHF all the way to 800 P25 Phase 2. It's because we sat down with our interop partners and came up with a plan.