VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they don't have enough radios but the local parks here are still on VHF high I have not monitored any of them on viper yet (Overhills,Raven Rock)Ect

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they don't have enough radios but the local parks here are still on VHF high I have not monitored any of them on viper yet (Overhills,Raven Rock)Ect

Exactly which agency are you referring to? Ncwrc in Raleigh area and NCFS are both heard on Viper here. Though it might be different in other areas.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Over a year ago a new radio tower was erected at the intersection of US50 and US98 near Falls Lake. Marshall suggested it would be a new Viper tower and offered the planned frequencies. As of Sunday, those frequencies are still not active. Does anyone know if the tower is active and if not, is there an idea of when it will be active? Can anyone confirm the frequencies, in case they have changed? -- thanks.

1565868672398.png

reconrider8

Over a year ago a new radio tower was erected at the intersection of US50 and US98 near Falls Lake. Marshall suggested it would be a new Viper tower and offered the planned frequencies. As of Sunday, those frequencies are still not active. Does anyone know if the tower is active and if not, is there an idea of when it will be active? Can anyone confirm the frequencies, in case they have changed? -- thanks.

View attachment 74328
check the fcc for towers in that general location and see if the frequency pairs match up and i would bookmark that link and keep checking back with it and see if it doesnt change and keep checking near the tower for any activity

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Have been receiving transmissions on TG 60688 which is not yet listed in database. Based on content and other TG in this range, I am very confident it is VA Kernersville, but I have not heard anything in the transmissions monitored to absolutely identify. Have received on Sauratown and WSSU sites which are the 2 sites I monitor from here in Kernersville.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Have been receiving transmissions on TG 60688 which is not yet listed in database. Based on content and other TG in this range, I am very confident it is VA Kernersville, but I have not heard anything in the transmissions monitored to absolutely identify. Have received on Sauratown and WSSU sites which are the 2 sites I monitor from here in Kernersville.

What RIDs are you seeing?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Unlisted talkgroups being heard...

52242 & 52243 NCSHP Radio IDs 2150981, 2150985 and 2151398
52694 Raleigh PD Radio IDs 1834945 and 1834968 (one radio encrypted)
52736 Unknown traffic no RID recorded
60809 Unknown federal Radio IDs 2915281, 2915300, 2915319 (previously heard with 60808) All traffic encrypted

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
It now seems that Morrisville and Apex have signed an agreement with Cary establishing Cary as the shared 911 dispatch and communications center. Already new TGs on the Cary system are active for both Apex and Morrisville - all encrypted. Maybe I am confused, but I thought the state wide direction was for everyone to join Viper. Why, across this state, are agencies implementing system outside of Viper?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I am confused, but I thought the state wide direction was for everyone to join Viper. Why, across this state, are agencies implementing system outside of Viper?

VIPER is primarily for public safety traffic, systems like Cary and the soon to be P25 Wake system are all inclusive of the agencies in their areas. You'll also notice that many systems are capable of utilizing Viper TGs if needed and often utilize RID numbering systems similiar to what you'd find on the Viper system.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
VIPER is primarily for public safety traffic, systems like Cary and the soon to be P25 Wake system are all inclusive of the agencies in their areas. You'll also notice that many systems are capable of utilizing Viper TGs if needed and often utilize RID numbering systems similiar to what you'd find on the Viper system.

Thank you N1GAW. Doesn't the patchwork implementation introduce extra costs? Do they share antennas? Please explain how a RID numbering system helps.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't the patchwork implementation introduce extra costs?

I don't know the contracts well enough to answer this, maybe someone else will respond. But if there is a cost associated with it I'm sure it's less than a system that will support all the extra traffic if all counties had all services on the system.

Do they share antennas?

Only time they are "sharing" antennas is if a radio is associated with the system (IE change to a VIPER TG) otherwise the county/city units have independent antennas (which may or may not be on the same tower).

Please explain how a RID numbering system helps.

If you look at the VIPER RID Wiki you'll see each agency/county are allotted a block of RIDs to set permissions and identify them on the system. If a county is using a compatible radio and wants to switch from county system to VIPER they must have an approved RID, otherwise VIPER wouldn't accept them and it would require a second VIPER compatible radio with proper RID. For example, as Wake gets closer to the switch to P25 and is starting to use the new radios, I'm seeing increased activity by RPD on Viper statewide TGs for surviellance or special events.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the contracts well enough to answer this, maybe someone else will respond. But if there is a cost associated with it I'm sure it's less than a system that will support all the extra traffic if all counties had all services on the system.

Only time they are "sharing" antennas is if a radio is associated with the system (IE change to a VIPER TG) otherwise the county/city units have independent antennas (which may or may not be on the same tower).

If you look at the VIPER RID Wiki you'll see each agency/county are allotted a block of RIDs to set permissions and identify them on the system. If a county is using a compatible radio and wants to switch from county system to VIPER they must have an approved RID, otherwise VIPER wouldn't accept them and it would require a second VIPER compatible radio with proper RID. For example, as Wake gets closer to the switch to P25 and is starting to use the new radios, I'm seeing increased activity by RPD on Viper statewide TGs for surviellance or special events.

Thank you. You made it understandable. I appreciate it. - BC

Tobydog

It now seems that Morrisville and Apex have signed an agreement with Cary establishing Cary as the shared 911 dispatch and communications center. Already new TGs on the Cary system are active for both Apex and Morrisville - all encrypted. Maybe I am confused, but I thought the state wide direction was for everyone to join Viper. Why, across this state, are agencies implementing system outside of Viper?
Having worked for one of those agencies 5 years ago, the intention was for Cary to take over the area and possibly Wake County in the future. Tower was installed at Cary Public Works in 2014 for this purpose. A locale can opt out of VIPER for their usage if they choose to do so. Guilford Co has system covering Guilford and Davidson at this time. Wilmington also has a local system which is slowly going encrypted for all services. Buncombe has Phase II System to themselves.