VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

Tobydog

Was talking to someone and informed that City Of Fayetteville most likely will not band together with the new 911 center because they want to be in charge of it.And they never plan to go Viper because they want to be in charge of there own system. Now they have several IDs on viper along with Hope Mill/Fay State-U who is with Fayetteville system now. To my knowing
they don't even have a MUT-AID id for other county depts. So why do they need all these viper ids when they don't use them counties have ids they don't need and sure they need at least one to have if there system goes down.
My understanding and information is that Fayetteville is going to be using Durham's system for several years to come since it is already in place.

ccfire918

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to viper sites and receiving traffic? Both archer lodge and Smithfield sites will not lock on in unication pager

reconrider8

I did notice the past few weeks that Halifax was coming in very week If at all yet I was picking up the 2 other sites that one is further away at 100%

ccfire918

Premium Subscriber
I have even programmed it into another radio with the same results... no tower being locked onto

trumpetman

Database Admin
I recommend doing a search with a scanner and see if the frequencies might have changed at Smithfield. Look from 769-775 & 851-861 and see if you can get a new control channel.

trumpetman

Database Admin
On second thought, I would highly recommend for anyone using the G4 or G5 on the VIPER system that they enable full spectrum control channel search and use the following tables:

Start: 851.0125
End: 860.9875
Step: 12500

Start: 769.00625
End: 774.99375
Step: 12500

Still keep the control channels for your local sites programmed in so it will acquire faster (the pager looks at this list first) but in the random chance that frequencies are changed there is still the ability to search for a new control channel without having any intervention or reprogramming. As long as your site numbers are programmed (1-02, & 1-53) the pager will search until it acquires a control channel on one of those two sites in Johnston County. Scroll down or use the diagnostics menu to display the current frequency and update your programming for faster acquisition and post an update so the database can be changed to benefit others. This method has worked well for me and is setup on all my VIPER & Palmetto personalities.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
The Gaston County Police are moving from UHF analog to Viper maybe by spring 2020. I'm not sure if the new licenses are related but the timing is curious.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
New Talkgroup not in database, unsure of exact usage so not submitted:

NC Forest Service Rockingham regional area TG 52657
Confirmed through radio traffic while techs were taking care of issues on the D3 repeater.

drayd48

Confirmed through radio traffic while techs were taking care of issues on the D3 repeater.
I would assume District 3 Common by following sequential order like the other common channels for the districts go

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
I monitored this new site for about an hour today and can confirm the CC is 774.70625. Very near this antenna location was held some sort of Fire Awareness event. I took the following pictures.

fullsizeoutput_98f.jpegGibYPPuLT7O344Nv%S6%OQ.jpg

spacellamaman

my uncle walked outside the other evening to see his yard on fire. was monitoring viper for NCNG helo traffic, as its rare i monitor viper, but do keep wildcard open and will get a listing of what i caught and post it if you like. lives in rowan on the edge of stanly. i think 52656 was the one they used responding but will confirm it for ya here shortly.

whoops already in db, ill still check what i go tho.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
I monitored this new site for about an hour today and can confirm the CC is 774.70625. Very near this antenna location was held some sort of Fire Awareness event. I took the following pictures.

View attachment 75918View attachment 75919

I was able to run Pro98 and Unitrunker on this site today and have submitted the data. It is site 73 - WRAE572. Listed as adjacent sites are: 108 Butner, 109 Camden Ave, 141 Archdale Building Raleigh, 142 West Raleigh SHP ,147 Brian Center, 166 Youngsville, and 167 Wake North Durant.

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
It appears that the Wilson site is now using 700 MHz frequencies. I have confirmed the control channel as being 774.69375. The new frequencies can be found under the call sign of WRAV659.

Squad101

That sucks for me because I live with in 2 miles of this site and I don’t get good reception from any others including Site-73. I’m guessing the Durant Rd site will be used for the upcoming Wake P25 system.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
That sucks for me because I live with in 2 miles of this site and I don’t get good reception from any others including Site-73. I’m guessing the Durant Rd site will be used for the upcoming Wake P25 system.
I live in Morrisville and am unable to get the new site 73 on my handheld scanners. I was always unable to get the Durant Road site. My desktop scanners with better antennas can get the new site 73 with one bar and sometimes 2 bars. Not sure if that helps you measure the broadcast strength of site 73.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
For about 90 minutes this morning I sat in the shadow of the N. Durant Road VIPER radio tower and tried to monitor that site based on what Squad101 mentioned in this topic stream. I am not really sure what to conclude but it looks like something has changed.

859.4625 shows 01FCh 0174 (this suggests it is site 74 Little River and not site 67). That frequency is listed in the RR DB as the CC for Little River and the Alt CC on N Durant Road. I got no data signal or voice signal on 860.4625 which is listed as the N Durant Road CC frequency. In fact in my scanner for the N Durant Road site I had all the site listed frequencies loaded and scanned them all. Selecting Control Channel scanning only, the scanner locked on 859.4625. So maybe site 74 Little River is the replacement for site 67 N Durant Road? Speculation for sure.

Frequencies trunked on that site CC of 859.4625 include the following. I will note in the list below if that frequency is listed for Durant Road (DR) or Little River (LR) or both.

851.6875 LR
853.7375 LR DR
855.9625 LR
856.4625 LR DR
857.4625 LR DR
859.4625 LR DR

Who knows more about this situation?